Results day post treatment!!

• 5 replies
  • 39 subscribers

Hi everyone

I went to see my oncologist this morning for my post treatment results. I saw her registrar in the end as it became evident at the appointment she was in fact not late, she was on holiday!!! 

Anyway, they said I have had a “near” complete response from what they can see on the scans, my anus is still very inflamed and bit sore and my scans were at 6 weeks and now I am 8 weeks. Quite early on post treatment for the scans I think so I wasn’t expecting all clear today. 

He said it could be just scar tissue, he also did a PR on me and said it’s all felt smooth in there which is reassuring. I’ve got to have a phone call in two weeks with my oncologist when she’s back from holiday. 

so I said I’m not sure if to celebrate or not just yet… I think it has all gone and i definitely feel different in that area compared to before the treatment. 

I also thought I’d go in and be so excited and feel better when they told me it had gone but I didn’t… I still feel really anxious and the cancer cloud over me. I guess it’s all still really positive and good news!!! 

• Hi

That sounds great, really positive, and yes 8 weeks is quite early for a scan but it sounds like you're heading in the right direction. 

It's understandable that you still feel a little anxiety, I think we all do off and on as we head for check ups and scans but so far so good for you so try and take some reassurance from how things have gone so far, and the fact it is a very effective treatment.

Hope you are able to relax a bit more now anyway,

xx

• Well that’s a happy result (so far as you mentioned) it made me feel excited for you for your future results!

I had a chat with the macmillan anal cancer nurse for my area last week and she gave me advice for soreness and getting my diet better! Can you keep in touch with yours as I felt a bit adrift after every day seeing medical people the weeks after R/Th seemed lonely and sad. 
    And don’t forget you have had a huge thing happen as everyone else on here and anxiety may be an in and off reaction for a while x 

I felt so relieved to read your post for you especially as you have been worried - you should celebrate with switching celebrating you!  

Angie x 

• Hi  ,

So many people that have come through this forum have had a similar response at their first scans as you’ve had so try not to worry too much, it’s not at all uncommon to have not had a complete response at that first scan review, try & keep in the forefront of your mind that this treatment keeps on working for some time once you’ve had your last active treatment. The scanxiety is real & even over 6 years post treatment the memories of attending those post scan appointments can sometimes make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up on times.

Hopefully your oncologist can offer you some more reassurance in a couple of weeks when you get the chance to speak with her. 

Nicola 

• Hello Aslu24

It is all such a rollercoaster, isn't it?  But you are right, it is positive news and hopefully your will have a much more definitive answer on your next scan.  I had to go for a sigmoidoscopy after a scan as they noticed almost imperceptible thickening at the tumour site, this was some time down the line, but everything was fine and it was scar tissue.  And unfortunately scar tissue can lead to a lot of nail-biting times.

And didn't you do well having a DRE so early!  My oncologist asked if he could do one and took one look at my face (huge tears welling up!) and said, don't worry, next time.

Irene xx

• Thank you all for your replies, I am still feel abit flat today. I find all so surreal, is it really happening still? Did I just go through all that and come through the other side ??? Lots of crazy thoughts 

it’s definitely mental trauma that stays with you and I don’t think it will ever leave me.
    im hoping when she calls me next week it will be to just say, to have some scans every 3 months. 

also they did find a 10mm polyp when I had my colonoscopy which they left, so I asked them about it yesterday and they said they will discuss it at the MDT meeting this week. 
    I’ve had no mention of it since the colonoscopy before my diagnosis. 

and yes my face also went white when he asked to do a PR on me, I am still sore to be honest but I didn’t want to drag things on so I just let him do it. He said it all felt smooth in there which is really good so I’m hopeful and thankful for the finger inspection JoyJoy