Awaiting my Treatment Plan

• 5 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hi I had my diagnosis last Wednesday for anal cancer, I had never heard of it before.  I am waiting to hear my treatment plan but the consultant said 6 weeks, 5 days a week of chemoradiotherapy.

The side effects sound horrendous especially as I ride horses every day !

As any one else successfully gone back to riding after treatment ?

• Hello JET1414

First of all welcome to our little corner on the MacMillan Cancer Support site, we have all been through what you are about to start and have lots of tips and coping strategies we can share once you have your treatment plan in place.

With regard to riding; it all depends on how the treatment affects you.  Some people sail through and although they experience pain and discomfort recover very quickly.  Others (I was one) take much longer and life has a new normal after treatment - I still have to seek out a soft chair to sit on as I have very sensitive skin in the area.

I have never ridden but I am hoping that someone who has will pick up on your post and be able to advise.

In the meantime, we are a good listening ear, and nothing you say is off-limits here - so if you need support along the way, just shout out.  We have all been there and really know.

Irene xx

• Hi JET1414

I rode daily when younger, though not now. I am now 4 weeks post chemoradiation and although the nether regions are still sore, they are definitely healing nicely. As Irene has said, people respond to treatment differently, but assuming all goes well , I don’t see why you shouldn’t be back in the saddle fairly soon after!

Start with a gentle hack on a well-behaved horse and take it from there. Get a sheepskin cover for your saddle. My view is that riding will assist your recovery, both physically and psychologically. Wishing you well on this healing journey.

• Thank you so much for your reply, that is most encouraging, I have ridden virtually all my life and the idea of not being able to ride a horse was really depressing me.

I am fit for my age and was ready to take on the treatment in a positive way but having read the details on the side effects during and post treatment the whole thing became very depressing.

Your reply has definitely cheered me on !

• Sorry your in this but you’ll be ok, forget the riding while in treatmeht and a few weeks after, the radiation burns are horrific mare sure you start to moisturise prior to treatment 

• OK thank you, I have bought some cream and will start using it when I get the date to start.