In extreme pain

• 3 replies
  • 41 subscribers

Hi I don't know what to do im due to get a stoma on Thursday for rectal cancer.im not really passing much and that's after considerable amount of bowel softening medication and microlax  im just getting a bit of poo with mucus an blood  .I'm getting terrible shooting pains in my lower back an buttocks I've taken 10 mg oxycodeine 1200 mg of gabapentin I've been like it for 2 days now .I'm scared to go to a/e department as there full to the brim. Is this  pain normal  I really don't know what to do 

• I dont have your medical problem, but if you are in a lot of pain i would phone up your nurse at the hospital. Did they give you a telephone number in case of emergency. I would phone the department that are dealing with you. If i was having a stoma fitted on thursday i would want to be in the best of health, all the best

• Sootybrad1, I'd call your treatment team immediately and try to get seen. I'm not familiar with rectal cancer and what it entails, but this much pain on top of those strong meds indicates that you need to see a medical professional ASAP.

Please let us know how you get on!

Hugs

Suz

• Sootybrad1

Your pain levels sound awful and I am really sorry you are going through this.  I understand your reluctance to go to A&E (I spent the night on a plastic covered armchair mid-treatment), could you ring the department that are dealing with you right now after your diagnosis?  I would do that as a matter of urgency.  I am sorry I don't know if your pain is normal or not, the only medical knowledge I have is what I have gleaned on here.  BUT you shouldn't have to suffer this much.

Sending a big hug

Irene