Stages of anal cancer

• 2 replies
  • 35 subscribers

I was told at outset that I had been diagnosed with anal cancer “by size”. Stage 4 cancer usually means it has spread widely but I have also been told that so far they have found no sign of spreading, Will  take this up with the consultant when I next see him but it does seem rather confusing..

• Hi Susie T

I can understand your confusion and talking to your CNS/consultant to get clarification is the best bet.

This link might give some info while you are waiting. 

Staging and grading of anal cancer | Macmillan Cancer Support

Hope this helps and hope your next appointment goes well

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hello Susie T

A warm welcome to our corner of the forum although I am really sorry that you had to find us.  The early days are very confusing, not to mention fearful, and I am pleased that jane2511 has given you a pointer to the MacMillan website which will give you more information.

Such a lot is going on behind the scenes after diagnosis, there will be scans and MDT (multi-disciplinary meetings) to determine the best course of treatment for you.  The standard treatment for anal cancer and local lymph nodes is chemo/radiotherapy, the course of treatment is around five and a half weeks and although short and sharp is very effective and in most cases curative.  The side effects don't come all at once and are very gradual and your treating team will keep on top of things with constant checks on your progress and keeping you supplied with medication and creams.

We have lots of tips and coping strategies and are always here to offer support should you need it, so please come back and let us know when your treatment starts.  

Irene x