Telangiectasia

• 8 replies
  • 41 subscribers

I went for a very rare visit to the Colorectal Clinic on Wednesday, when asked if I had any problems, I explained that my bottom was very painful after sitting for a while, which I’m doing more of as I’m waiting for my second hip replacement! Doctor examined me and said he couldn’t see anything sinister, which was really reassuring! It didn’t explain the pain I’m experiencing but I was so relieved that I didn’t ask anything else! Today I received a copy of the letter sent to my GP and he mentioner that he’d found a small patch of telangiectasia on my bottom! He didn’t seem worried at all and neither am I but has anyone else heard of this and could this cause the pain? I’ve tried all sorts of cream to try to get rid of pain, nothing works! 
Moira x

• Hi Moira ( ),

I have to admit I’d never heard of telangiectasia & had to look it up, apparently it can cause very minor irritation & a little pain but nothing as severe as you seem to be experiencing. Is it your actual bottom that’s painful, as in internally or could it be bone pain? My Dr’s checked for pelvic fractures & fractures in my coccyx when I was in pain when sitting for too long. There’s so many rogue aches & pains that can follow this treatment! Maybe it would be good to go have a conversation with your GP if your colorectal consultant isn’t going to investigate any further. 

Nicola 

• Hi Nicola and thanks for replying! I’d never heard of it either but when I looked it up, it seems like they are a sort of thread vein! I think a lot of my problem is that I’m forced to sit a lot, waiting for second hip operation plus emphysema means I can’t  move around much! The pain is definitely my bottom although sometimes it feels internal, I think that could be me panicking! My 3 year scans are due and I think we all start to imagine things! I’ve had to pester to actually see anyone from my colorectal team, apparently I was lost in the system! I think I will try to get an appointment with my GP, at least then I’ll be able to chat in a more relaxed manner than I did at the hospital! I’ll let you know if I get any more information!
      Moira x
  • Hi again Moira, ‘getting lost in the system’ just isn’t good enough is it? This absolutely infuriates me!! It may just be that you’re forced to sit for long periods due to your other health conditions that’s causing the pain but you need a proper explanation even if it is just that, hopefully with your other hip surgery you’ll be a little more mobile. Yes I agree an appointment with your GP will be more relaxed & make sure he/she knows that you’ve had to chase down this appointment with your colorectal team & that they said you’d been ‘lost in the system’! & yes please keep us updated. 

Nicola 

• Yes, at my check-up this week the oncologist said I had telangiectasia!  She said it is nothing to worry about and I find it sore too, even though I am very careful to wipe with baby lotion and keep the area clean and moisturised.  I think it is just one of those things some of us are left with after radiotherapy, I think when we lose the skin at the end of treatment the new skin is thin and fragile.   I must admit I don't find it as painful as you but my hips are so I take a couple of paracetamol before I take my dog out for a walk.

Sorry I am not much help!

Irene xx

• Hi Irene,

Actually, just knowing someone else has heard if it is a great help! I think you're right, it's just something else some of us are left with after radiation but I wish my surgeon had explained what it is! I think we can cope with most things, once we understand! As I was saying to Nicola, I spent most of the day sitting, roll on my second hip operation then at least I'll hopefully be able to move around a bit!

Thanks a lot Irene,

Moira x

• Yes I have never heard of this either but I have angioectasis which is small blood vessels that break causing bleeding when having bowel movements or sometimes a while after. It is so worrisome but I have been told it is also called radiation proctasis. And could be chronic. 

• Moira, sometimes all we need is a short simple explanation to stop us worrying!  I don't know why more doctors don't do this, it would pay massive dividends in reducing patients' stress levels and save too on unnecessary visits to doctor to make sure there is nothing wrong.

I hope you don't have to wait too long for your hip op, I know having it done is really life-changing.

Irene xx

• That sounds really painful too! I hope you're getting help with pain relief and that you're getting support from your team! 

Moira x