How long after treatment can you start driving again?

• 6 replies
  • 41 subscribers

I’m into my 4th week post treatment & nearly healed skin wise but very sensitive to clothing & itchy still. I know everyone heals at different rates but wonder if/when others found they were able to drive again after treatment? 

I can sit but tend to lie on my side still as don’t want to put too much pressure on the area still & so feel driving may take a while yet. But am so buoyed up by the amount of healing & improvement overall that I’m itching to get behind the wheel again. I know I could just try & I’ll find out but is there any recommendation to be aware of post radiotherapy?

Any experiences appreciated xx

• Hi Ninka,

It took me a couple of months before I was okay driving, but it sounds as if you're doing awfully well. I think it's just whenever you feel up to it, and I didn't feel up to much but shuffling from chair to toilet to bed for what seemed like forever.

Suz

• Hi Suz

Oh wow - so it really is variable. I maybe need to give myself more time.

I think having my stoma is helping that poor traumatised area to heal with not having any BM’s (& I sympathise with everyone on that front). 

I was so elated at feeling better that I booked to see a show & a meal after at the weekend & took my donut cushion along me with with no shame as tho it’s completely normal!! 

And managed it with no explosive diahorrea accidents!! 

I think I’m so terrified that I’m going to need more treatment /possible surgery that I’m seizing opportunities for life while I can. 

It’s so very true that going through all this shit makes you feel like a warrior inside & also to have no shame. 

Thanks for replying tho Suz it’s really helpful to hear others’ experiences no matter how similar or different 

Xx

• Ninka

I honestly can't remember when I started driving again, it certainly wasn't in the first couple of months as I was very tender and was still using a cushion, but once I started there was no stopping me!  I still can't drive for very long periods but that is more to do with aching hips rather than being unable to drive.

I am delighted to hear that all your healing has gone so well, and I would say if you feel up to it, try.  And going to a show and a meal, wow!  It is so wonderful having life going back to some kind of normality, it might be a slightly different normal but it still feels great nonetheless.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Irene xx

• Hi Ninka it sounds like you are doing fabulously well on the healing front. It took me a couple of months to get behind the wheel and I would sit on a cushion full of polystyrene beads. Glad you are making plans to get out there and live life

• Hi Irene

I know it’s probably not something people will really remember as a landmark. But it’s useful to hear when others felt ready esp as when I tend to feel remotely better, I want to rush back to this state of “normal”. When as you say that normal is a different kind of normal now. That’s a good way of thinking about it & managing expectations. Thank you!

xx

• Hi Jaycee I don’t know - it prob will be a couple of months as I def couldn’t bear down to do an emergency stop or anything & don’t want to do any damage to what has already been traumatised. 
    Knowing when others felt able is a good guage for me so thankyou. 

Got my 6 week check up to get through first (in cple of weeks) which will be a digital exam - & not really looking forward to Flushed but def want to have all the same. 

Thanks for sharing your experience too Thumbsup

xx