Pain flare up

• 3 replies
  • 40 subscribers

Hi!

So I'm coming up to 4 years since my treatment and recently I've been feeling pretty good. However just out of the blue, I've got this terrible pain flare up in my bum cheek and coxic area, to the point where it really hurts to sit down again and my old cushions are coming back into use. Feels like it would if I was badly bruised inside. 

Over the years random things seems to happen and check ups fine, but I just wondered why these flare ups seem to happen. I've not done anything particularly different! 

Has anyone else experienced this after a few years? Be really interested to know if it's just me!!

Deb x 

• Too early for me to say just yet, Deb, but I did post recently about a pretty miserable pain flare right around the one year mark, not long after I got my initial NED. Do your flares last very long, typically? Mine was over a month, not all terrible but with really nasty episodes. 

Hugs

Suz

• Hi  ,

I’m a little further on than you, It’ll be 5 years for me in June, for the most part things are good for me except for the odd bout of constipation & after one of these episodes I get what I can only explain as a feeling of internal inflammation again. I suffer some lower back & hip pain & bilateral sciatica, how much of this is due to the treatment & how much is down to my osteoarthritis I’m not sure but I’m having physiotherapy now & that’s helping especially with the back pain & sciatica. Have your treating team checked your scans for fractures to your coccyx? I suffered coccyx pain after my treatment & my oncologist checked my most recent scan as he said the coccyx can fracture following our particular treatment. 

If this pain continues or you’re overly concerned ask for a check-up with either your treating team or GP just to put your mind at rest as there’s nothing worse than worrying about these random flares! 

Nicola 

• Hello Deb

I am only a year out of treatment but if that is anything to go by I get most peculiar twinges and aches frequently, but all is fine.  I am sorry to hear that you have this pain after four years, do you think it could be sciatica?  One of the symptoms of that is buttock pain, but it is worth mentioning at your check-up in case it is a new symptom of radiotherapy, apparently they can crop up many years later, unfortunately.  Hope you get it sorted out and some relief.

Irene xx