Having a Sigmoidoscopy - might help!

• 1 reply
  • 38 subscribers

Hi Everyone,

I did post in my six month results message (when i got the all clear hurrah!) that my Consultant wanted me to have a Sigmoidoscopy just as an extra check after MRI and examination.  Well good news was that they found no sign of recurrence!  

Well I was very nervous of the procedure and was going to be sedated.  The Consultant in Endoscopy was very kind and I told him I was worried it would be painful after my radiation treatment in August last year had left me tight and still sore.  He said he would use a thin endoscope and also apply instagel (think that's how its spelled) to numb the bottom and I wouldn't need sedating.

Well except for a tiny pain as he inserted the endoscope and an ouch when he took two biopsies (when I used gas and air) it was absolutely fine and soon over.  Although no recurrence he took the biopsies as routine.  So the worst part of the whole procedure was the enema I had to do at home - my goodness did I have to run to the loo and good job with the explosion from my bottom hehe! (a tad painful too as you can imagine!)

The Consultant showed me the area where the cancer was on the screen - a white and shiny area.  He also showed me the radiation scars in the rectum and anus and after seeing these I know now why it is still uncomfortable for me in that area!  Even got photos on my report I brought home!

So thought I would post this in case anyone has to go through a similar procedure - it certainly made it easier for me.

Carole xSlight smile

• I am so happy to hear this, Carol.  I had a sigmoidoscopy in January, but also sedation, but the only uncomfortable part was the enema they gave me prior to the procedure.  The consultant came in to speak to me and I had to make rapid excuses and rush to the loo mid conversation!  I was given a picture and my tumour site was pinkish and shiny too.

Happy days for you and thank you for the reassurance for others.

Irene xx