Colostomy and ileostomy

• 3 replies
  • 39 subscribers

I have had a apr op and was left with a stoma colostomy on the left hand side of my tummy , I had complications and had to have another emergency op to have a ileostomy which is on the right hand side of tummy . All was well and I was on they way to recovery about 6 weeks after the initial op , then my bum burst open and forced the stitches open , when I went to urinate I would spray puss liquid watery smelly substances mixed with poop from my barbie but wound , not pleasant at all very scary experience, I was taken back to hospital we’re they informed me after scans and tests that some of the cancer hadn’t been removed and it has caused my large intestine to fail and leak from the inside, falling into a void apparently and perforated. I now have a ileostomy as well which I pass poop ! is it normal to pass poo out of both stomas I thought it would only now come out of my ileostomy but recently I passed two really hard golf ball sized poops very hard and black unsure if it’s mucas build up , poo or just what was left on the Tract and now it’s passing . Then another day it happened again . But hasn’t since just liquid clear liquid now and again , ileostomy seems to be working fine very watery .!my question is should I still poo out of colostomy as I thought was now inactive , ????

• Hi Viktor18, Sorry I'm unable to help with your query, hopefully someone can.  The website also has a section that nurses can answer questions - I haven't had to use it yet but perhaps it'd help? After surgery to remove external lumps and a camera investigation I've ended up with a rectal prolapse - I'm not sure how this has happened and have yet to get it rectified as currently dealing with the cancer but I was petrified when I felt the mass of tissue protruding so I can only imagine how very scary all of this has been for you. I really hope it all starts to improve for you and you get some helpful answers soon.

• Oh, Viktor, I'm just so dang sorry to hear this. Wow. I hope the folks on the stoma forums can offer you some useful advice. It seems so unfair that so many of the things that CAN go wrong HAVE gone wrong for you. The medical staff didn't say anything about passing stools through both new openings? It sounds like it's probably okay, but a call to the nurse would probably be better for putting your mind at ease. Are you in much pain?

Holding you in my heart.

Suz

• Hi Viktor, I waited before answering as I have no experience of a stoma but I just wanted to say how sorry I am you are having these problems.  From what I remember from a post some months ago, another forum member was passing stools from the back passage as well as the stoma (I think the tumour had shrunk and stools were getting through.  But that's the sum total of my knowledge.  Do you have a contact number for nurse who is part of the team treating you?  She might be able to give you more answers, reassure you, or say come in and we will sort you out.

Wishing you lots of luck in sorting this out, please let us know how you get on.

Irene xx