PIP

• 9 replies
  • 40 subscribers

Hi and Happy New Year to you all wishing you all the very best for the new year.

I just wanted some advice on whether anybody has successfully claimed pip for squamous cell carcinoma diagnosis and symptoms.

I know it really depends on symptoms and how they affect you. Has anyone made a successful claim? And how long did it take?

Best Wishes

Amanda

• Hi  Amanda

I receive pip after making a successful claim in 2022. I originally called them at the end of April, received the form online and you have around a month to complete it and return. Confirmation of my pip award was made at the end of July, and payments began in August. I received a lump sum back dated payment separately which covered the period from when I had first applied in the April.

With pip, the diagnosis itself is not relevant. As you rightly say it depends on how you are affected in day to day life/mobility-there are 2 components to the award. You need to have been affected by your diagnosis for at least 3 months if I recall, and expect to continue to suffer from the effects for the next 12 months. 

I had an adenocarcinoma diagnosis of my cancer, first line treatment and surgery and for me the effects of all of that are likely to be permanent. I cannot walk very far, so use a wheelchair or mobility scooter. I live with 2 stomas. Everything has had a profound effect on my life, and changed it completely. 

The form is long and requires a great deal of detail about exactly what effects your diagnosis has on your life-both mental and physical. I did it myself, but it could be useful to take advice from welfare benefit advisors about how to complete it. I didn’t feel I needed to as I was able to describe in detail the effects of my surgery. There are lots of different sections relating to various different aspects of your life, like mobility and how you can manage day to day tasks. You need to give details of the medical professionals treating you, and medical evidence to confirm diagnosis and treatment. 

In terms of day to day living, I cannot stand for more than a few minutes, therefore I cannot prepare a meal, I cannot bend so cannot put on my own shoes, and I cannot have a bath without assistance. I struggle to shower by myself and do simple tasks like lifting a basket of washing. You need to concentrate on describing the worst type of day, so for me that would be multiple stoma bag changes, bursting bags, that type of thing. I need help with lots of things.

I was awarded the enhanced rate of pip for my mobility and daily living, which entitles me to a blue badge for the car and the opportunity to lease my mobility scooter through the Motability scheme as I’m not a car driver. As I have been housebound for about 3 years this will give me some independence at last.

I was fortunate in that I did not have to go through any reconsideration or appeal process, so my award was dealt with relatively quickly. The mental effects for me were also taken into account as I had been on anxiety medication and received counselling. 

Good luck if you decide to proceed-it’s quite a stressful process, and you also have to go through an assessment-mine was over the phone.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Sarah, I am taken aback by your account, yet you are on here volunteering and helping others.  You are a Community Champion of Champions.

Irene xx

• Sorry, I can't help.  As well as Sarah I think there was another some time ago, if you put PIP in the search engine it will possibly come up.  Best of luck.

Irene xx

• Hi   has already given you some good advice. Thanks Sarah.  I just wanted to add that the number to call to claim is the PIP helpline number on 0800 121 4433. It is free to call this number. To quality for PIP, the effects upon your daily living or mobility, or both daily living and mobility, resulting from your medical condition need to have existed for a period of 3 months and be anticipated to last for a further 9 months. You can also call the Macmillan helpline ,they offer advice on lots of things including entitlement to welfare benefits.  Most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week and it's free to call on 0808 808 00 00  I wish you all the best for 2023. Bev x

• Aww Irene, that’s very kind of you to say so, but I love being part of this community and it gives me a real focus in a sometimes tedious life! 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Hi  Bev

Thanks for clarifying the timescales, my memory is not what it was! I would absolutely agree on phoning the Macmillan welfare team for advice. My best friend works in mental health advocacy and helps with many applications and tribunals so she was able to give me some pointers in terms of not holding back on how bad some of my days can be! It’s really important with these forms to tell it how it is.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Thank you so much for your advice Sarah, I really appreciate it. You have been through so much and a huge inspiration. Wishing you all the very best.

Kind Regards

Amanda xx

• Hi  Amanda,

Happy New Year to you too.

I had a successful PIP claim shortly following my diagnosis. I was advised by my GP to visit a local cancer charity where there are lots of available services including a benefit advisor, following that first appointment Katherine advised me to apply for PIP & ESA, she made me a further appointment when my forms had arrived & assisted me with completing them. The PIP claim was successful but the ESA was rejected, as with Sarah I received a back payment from the date of my claim then a monthly payment for 2 years. I was reviewed after the 2 years & my renewal was rejected which I fully expected. Again as Sarah has mentioned the forms are long & arduous with many questions repeated but with subtlety different wording therefore if you have access to a benefits advisor or someone that could assist you with filling them in it would be advisable. If you have a Maggies Centre anywhere near you I’m pretty positive they have benefits advisors. If you do go ahead & fill in the forms yourself then fill them in from the prospective of your worst possible day.

Good luck & let us know if you manage to access some help. 

Nicola 

• Hi Nicola

Thank you for your advice I shall contact the benefits advisors and ask for their assistance.

Kind Regards

Amanda xx