Itching

• 7 replies
  • 40 subscribers

Hi all I just have a question about itching. I am now 18 months post treatment and everything is seemingly going well. About four weeks ago I don’t know if a particular bowel movement made me a bit sore but since then I get on and off itching. I have read on here a couple of members have had episodes where they have become sore with the itch. I have investigated an cannot see anything that is causing it. You worry don’t you, I had itching around a year prior to diagnosis so that is worrying me. At least I have an appointment with my oncologist at the end of February provided it’s not cancelled during this unsettling time with the NHS. Does anyone here just have constant on and off itching? To end on this note I wish everyone a lovely Christmas and a Happy and healthy New Year. Xx

• Hi   I’m 3.5 years post treatment and have itching on and off quite a bit. Always usually right where the tumour was! I did used to worry at first but have now realised it’s just the new normal as they say. It always goes off eventually but does return again, sometimes after a bowel movement sometimes for no reason at all.  There have been quite a few comments about ongoing itching post-treatment so it seems pretty common. I don’t think the skin returns to ‘ normal’ for quite a few years. Hope this helps. Have a good Xmas. Bev x

• Thank you Bev, it just gets you to start losing confidence but it’s a comfort that I’m not the only one. Why it suddenly started was what worried me.

julie x

• Hi  

I agree with Bev that this on off itching is a pretty common occurrence, I’m 4.5 years post treatment & it happens quite rarely now but it does still happen. Both my oncologist & surgeon told me the new skin that forms following the radiotherapy will never be the same as it was before & is often prone to being quite rashy (similar to nappy rash) & very sensitive, I should imagine there’s damage to nerve endings in the area affected also which could also manifest as an itch type sensation. You’ll feel more settled once you’ve been checked over but try not to worry too much. Have a lovely Christmas & wishing you a happy & healthy New Year. 

Nicola 

• Hi @Jaycee12,

I, too, experience itching on occasion.  I’m nearly a year out of chemo-radiation, and it’s rare, but it does still happen, especially if I’ve had a difficult bowel movement or if I have diarrhea.  Again, all rare, but all still happen every once in a while.

Best wishes to you as we welcome a new year with all of the hope that brings.

Red

• Hello Jaycee12

These odd things continue to bug us, don't they?  I never had any itching as my tumour was submucosal but I occasionally have itching now after treatment and I assume it is because my skin to so sensitive and easily irritated.  If it continues to bother you and you are still worried, you could always give the cancer nurse a ring in the New Year, don't wait for your appointment.

I hope you had a lovely Christmas.

Irene xx

• I agree with  , in that if you can get in touch with a member of your care team, I bet it would bring you great peace of mind.  It is a wonderful feeling to hear from the experts that something is “normal!”  Good thoughts your way!

Red

• Hi, I have given the hospital a call this morning and spoke to a lovely nurse and she is going to speak to my oncologist tomorrow to see if she thinks I should get my appointment brought forward. Thank you all for your comments and they are always appreciated x