Still struggling

• 3 replies
  • 39 subscribers

My mum is still suffering three months on from 5 weeks of radiotherapy for anal cancer.

her skin all over her body is so amgry and she is still really uncomfortable sitting down. 

Anyone able to help with time scales 

• Hi Hollyberry, not sure what time scales are but I'm sure sorry to hear about your mom.. What are the nurses saying?

Suz

• Hi Hollyberry, do you think your mum would like to speak to someone who has gone through the treatment? If so I recommend that you get in touch with the Anal Cancer Foundation and they will put her in touch with someone through their peer to peer support programme. Although there is quite a bit on the website which is US focussed they have ‘thrivers’ in the U.K. that will support her. Anyone on this site who would like to become a peer supporter please also get in touch with the foundation, I myself received informal support from someone when I was diagnosed and I gave also been part of this initiative for a number of years it’s invaluable speaking to someone who understands.

Hopefully others will respond with some encouragement it really does get better!

• I am fortunate that I didn't have an all-over rash like your Mum but have had lots of other side-effects.  But (being frank here) I am almost nine months down the line and I haven't gone back to how I was before, and I have accepted that what I have now is my new norm.  EVERYTHING revolves around bowel movements and after I have been at least three times in the morning I am safe to go out and not worry. Re sitting down, I am now managing without a cushion in the car.  There are others on here who have gone back to normal but in general they in seem to be quite a bit younger.  

But an angry skin rash sounds awful.  What has her oncologist suggested?  So lovely that your Mum has you looking out for her, as my daughters did for me - keep on doing this, it means SUCH a lot!

Irene xx