Neutropenia

• 6 replies
  • 41 subscribers

Hey everyone, 

Im unfortunately I’m hospital as I’m neutropenic. Im days days into starting my radiation and have had to stop the capecitabine for now. 

im gutted and shocked how quickly this has happened. I’ve previously done 6 months of carbo/taxol with no issues. 

i had a temp and chills yesterday so was brought in and this has just escalated. Today I’ve had a unit of blood (which isn’t a new issue) because my hb is low and got told my I’m dehydrated so have AKI stage 1. 

i was able to have to radio as normal today but worried that im not having the chemo 

has anyone else experienced similar ? 

im stressing Weary

• Oh, dang, Ker, dang dang dang! Nothing to offer but all my best thoughts and energy arrowing to you!

What do the docs say about the chemo being on pause?

Suz

• Hi , sorry to hear you’re not well. I didn’t finish my Capecitabine in the last week or so as I was neutropenic and lymphocytopenic (all the blooming penics!). I’m sure they’ll get your levels sorted and you can try again. As I was in my last week and my liver crashed my onco said not to worry and we proceeded with the radio without the cape. It’s not an ideal situation but try not to get yourself too worried. They know what they’re doing and this is happens. Thinking about you! Sending hugs x 

• Hi ,

I’m really sorry you’re not well at the minute!

We’ve had a few members in my time here that have suffered neutropenia &/or heart issues due to the capecitabine during treatment & had to stop the chemo side of things but have still had successful outcomes. The radiotherapy is the mainstay of this treatment. Maybe with it being the beginning of your treatment once they get your bloods up again you may be able to try the capecitabine again, hopefully it’ll be a case of your team just keeping a close eye on you & obviously you now know the symptoms to look out for. 

I hope your feeling better soon. 

Nicola 

• I am so sorry you are going through this - no wonder you are so stressed.  I had a temperature during chemo/radiation and was admitted to hospital, I wasn't told I was neutropenic but I was given intravenous antibiotics and fluids.  It happened on a Friday night and by Monday I was well enough to be discharged and my husband drove me straight to the other hospital and I had my chemo tablets and radiotherapy as usual.  Sometimes the body has a severe reaction to a different chemotherapy but does calm down, the team treating you will be checking your levels all the time and may restart the chemo.

You are in my thoughts and I am keeping everything crossed that you recover quickly from this setback.

Irene xx

• They were keen to re start it asap which they did. 
    ive been back on it 3 days now. I feel hurrendous when taking them. Constant nausea and indigestion. 

I just want these next 2 weeks over with Weary

• Oh Ker, dang it! Are you still in hospital?