Flu and Covid booster

• 4 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hi - I am a couple of months post treatment. I'm not too worried about having the flu jab, but I was quite ill after my 3rd Covid vaccination. Do you think that, because of cancer treatment, the side effects of a booster will be worse? Thank you.

• Hi @Puddy there are no real certainties  about the level of side effects you may have. You say you were quite ill after the 3 vaccination. Did you have a different vaccination on that occasion? I was given two different types on my first and second vaccinations. After the first I had a headache but after  the second (Pfizer) I had no side effects save for a sore arm. I think it would be worth asking your treating team for some advice. You’d also have to weigh in the balance the possible consequences of not having the 4 th vaccination and contracting COVID. Bev. 

• Thanks for your reply. My first two jabs were Pfizer and I had no real side effects. My booster was Moderna and I had bad shivers for three or four days after. I had to keep going to bed, in between taking my dog for walks. I just don't know if I will feel more ill because of immune system being lower. xx

• I have had five (yes five!) Covid vaccinations and didn't really have any adverse effects from any of them, but I know many people do and yours sound most unpleasant.  However, I did have Covid about nine weeks ago and I was really surprised how mildly I had it, I have had worse colds.  My husband was very worried and rang the hotline and was told my recent blood test had showed my white blood cell count was normal and that I should be alright, and I was.  I put that down to the fact that I was so well covered by the vaccination.  I agree with Bev in that you may not have the same reaction this time, and contracting Covid may be worse.  Hope it goes well for you.

• Hi  it may be worth seeing if you could have the Pfizer again although your reaction may be nothing to do with the type of vaccine. It’s strange how differently Covid have affected people. A friend of mine has ended up not quite recovering from COVID 18 months down the line whilst her partner tested positive but was asymptomatic. Bev x