Cancer Hangover

• 4 replies
  • 40 subscribers

Hi guys, just thought I’d post this, I came across it on another site but it’s something that I definitely went through myself. The day my treatment finished was a day I so looked forward to from the day it begun & I found it a pretty emotional day but the day after I think I expected to just go back to feeling normal (as normal as you can whilst dealing with a cancer diagnosis!) but I just felt flat! almost abandoned as silly as that sounds. It was once I’d had my first scans etc., following treatment that the ‘cancer hangover’ set in. I know of late there’s been a couple of discussions on our forum about the emotions, or lack there of, when we think we should be feeling a certain way but we don’t so I thought that this may resonate with some  of you. 

• Thanks for this  post-treatment is such a strange place to be. My friend’s relative who had breast cancer was very stoical and seemed to cope so well throughout diagnosis & treatment but had a complete mental breakdown afterwards.  It seems to be quite common to feel this ‘flatness’, with emotions taking a while to come to the surface. X

• Totally agree, only I read cancer hangover as a constant gnawing anxiety.  I am so full of admiration (tinged with a large helping of envy) for those who determine that their lives are not going to be ruled by the dreaded 'scans'.  I honestly don't know how they do it, and if there is anyone on here who can give me a hint, I am totally open to suggestions!  Please don't misunderstand me, I don't spend every waking minute thinking about it, but the thought always flits in uninvited every so often.  Sometimes I will be having a glorious time with friends or family and suddenly I am struck by a feeling of grief that these wonderful times could be limited.  I need to get over this!

• Me too, Irene. I'll lump along fine, more or less, and then sit bolt upright, gasping, in the middle of the night, thinking about DREs that are still a couple of months in my future! Or the surprise on a loved one's face when we spend an hour doing something 'normal', and then my energy tanks and I have lie down for a bit. 

It's so much better, for sure, but it still punches me in the face when I'm least expecting it. 

• Walking down that same corridor to attend check ups I am thinking at least I am not those people going for my radiotherapy treatment. Then I am thinking what if I end up back here! We don’t choose to think like this as we fight it and bury it during the rest of the time. I don’t think about it all the time but it does hover around. Yesterday we was invited by our daughter to visit a maize where the grandchildren have to search for clues to make a seven letter word. This was on a farm and my first words were does it have toilet facilities. They look at me as if to say you are better, you are fine don’t worry. We can look normal but some of us are not quite. I can relate to some of these comments on here and do enjoy life but know I have limitations.