Biopsy scar

• 4 replies
  • 39 subscribers

hi all , I had a biopsy done 2 1/2 weeks ago , my stitches have dissolved and my cut still seems to be seeping, I went to the nurse last week to get it checked and she said that it seems fine and not infected, sometimes they seep when they are healing, but over the last few days it seems to be uncomfortable again and now the stitches have gone it seems a little open, I’ve kept it clean and dry , I know it’s in an awkward place so that doesn’t help, did anyone else have this issue at all

thanks

• Hi  it took a few weeks for my biopsy site to heal. The surgeon had actually removed the tumour rather than just a portion of it and it was very sore afterwards. By the very nature of its location its impossible to keep it 100% clean but my Consultant didn't seem too worried about that when queried this. If I were you I'd probably give your treating hospital a call tomorrow and update your nurse who may want you to to go in for a quick check up. It doesn't sound to be infected from the information you've given but it's always best to check. Bev 

• Hi Bex1969 I also had a tumour removal and it took a good four weeks to heal. It was sore and impossible to keep dry. Take lots of cool bath soaks in whatever your team suggests. My stitches did actually burst  and I ended up in A & E as I did bleed a lot. They just stemmed the flow with drugs and antibiotics infusion for two days and sent me home. As Bev says, just keep your team informed what is going on. It is such a tender and a unavoidable traffic area but does heal eventually . 

• Hi - unavoidable traffic area Grinning  I like that description!  Bev x

• Hi ,

If it’s any help I had my tumour surgically removed via local resection prior to a reduced course of chemoradiotherapy due to only a 1mm clear margin on a small portion of the tumour which is cut off point for further intervention apparently. I was also stitched but after around 4 days my stitches burst (I was warned this may happen because of the position) I bled when it first happened and ended up in A&E on the Saturday evening, the surgical registrar that saw me said it was quite a large wound but just advised me to keep it as clean as possible & after a few days I was amazed at how quickly the wound began filling in. I had salt baths & washed each time I used the loo & everything was fine from there on. Just carry on doing what you’re doing & if you’re at all concerned just ask the nurse to take another look. 

Nicola