Five weeks complete 3 days to go - can it get any worse!

• 19 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Hi Everyone well i knew from this forum things would only get worse - before better!  Doing ok up to fifth week and now got the red sore bottom area!  I had been using the aqueous cream recommended on here plus diprobase given at hospital.  When nurse examined me last Tuesday at review she said i was starting to split and areas were very wet so to stop using the aqueous cream and use Flamazine cream in the breakdown areas and Diprobase in other areas. Also given Lidocaine for the stinging when having a wee.  She also took a swab to check for infection and this came back ok.  

Not sure any of this is helping the break down areas are still very wet and I just feel so damn sore and stingy down there.  Going knickerless in house as they stick to it! 

My nurse is on holiday this week but I'm going to see if I can speak to someone tomorrow see if i should continue as I am, I know she did say there were different creams to try.  Had a weepy weekend thinking how can I go for three more sessions knowing i've not reached the peak and it will continue for a few more weeks. CryCry

Don't know what I would do without you guys and this friendly full of advice forum I am constantly using the search link and always find my answers - so thank you you're the best.Heart  I know I will get there from all the amazing positive stories I have read on here - you keep me going. 

Carole x

• Hi Carole21, First congrats you are almost done!! I am 12 yrs cancer free from T2 anal cancer, so that should give you much encouragement going forward. Yes the last couple of weeks were really hard for me so if your skin is just beginning to breakdown you are doing good. Not to say it helps with your pain and weeping, but that old saying no pain no gain is very true when it comes to cancer treatment. 

Keep using your creams you were given and know there is light at the end of the tunnel. 

The radiation does continue to irritate you a week or two after your last treatment, but you will be amazed how fast your skin heals. I returned to work part-time 6 weeks after treatment because of insurance purposes but it was doable. 

Keep your eyes on the end result and a healthy life ahead.

God Bless you, Theresa 

• Hi ,

You really are at the business end of the treatment now & I’m sorry you’re having a rough time at the moment but as  has said it’s now you need to keep your eye on the prize! You’re doing amazing & doing everything right, using the creams provided etc., & going commando whenever possible is good as it allows air to get to the affected skin. You’re also doing the right thing in speaking to your team tomorrow, they hold a whole array of lotions & potions including different forms of pain relief, creams & dressings if needed.

Everything held up pretty well for me up until my last session, baring in mind I had 5 less sessions than the standard due to the clinical trial I took part in, but things kicked-off more or less as soon as that last session was over & things got pretty sore over the next week or so. As you’ve described I was very weepy too & spent most of the next 11 days sleeping (naked from the waist down when possible), soaking in an Epsom salt bath or watching seriously rubbish tv that took zero concentration!… I suppose what I’m trying to say is be kind to yourself over the coming couple of weeks, I know it’s hard for us sometimes but put yourself first & do what you need to do to get through this period even if that means sleeping the clock around just so that you can tick off another 24 hours towards your recovery (the fatigue hit me like a truck so I had no trouble at all sleeping a fair bit of my days away!!) But again I’ll echo what Theresa has said in that once you turn that corner the healing process with your skin will be surprisingly quick, I saw quite incredible daily improvements & I too was back to work 5-6 weeks post treatment. 

We’re here for support whenever you need us, you can do this, so many of us here are testament to the success of this treatment, non better than  who I’m forever grateful for still offering support & encouragement to others here 12 years on, this gives us all hope so thank you Theresa. 

Nicola 

• Hi Carole

well done, almost there!  I finished my 28th session last Wednesday and the last few days haven’t been without problems.  Soreness, itching and very painful going to the loo.  I’ve found using a squirty bottle full of warm salted water is a life saver to have by the loo at all times.  I got mine from Amazon Happypo 500ml. 
    Like you, I go knicker less all the time, I’ve not been out in days and live alone so quite easy to do and it definitely helps.

It’s already been said but do be kind to yourself and give yourself the time and space to heal.  You have been through a lot mentally and physically, respect what your body and mind needs from you. 

sending healing vibes and light xx

• Hi Amazing Grace,

Oh thank you so most for your reply you have really boosted my mood and I am feeling positive now.  To know you are 12 years cancer free is a massive encouragement for me.  I have so much to look forward to I had good news last week that my eldest daughter is pregnant so I will at long last be a grandma in March - thought it would never happen with my four children - maybe the babies will all arrive at once now.Joy 

So thank you Amazing Grace you are an inspiration! 

Carole x

• Hi Nikki65,

As I have said to Amazing Grace your reply has really boosted me mood.  I had a very weepy feeling down weekend and needed to offload and knew this was the best place where everyone has been through the same and understands.

Yes once Wednesday is over and no more hospital visits i will relax and concentrate on getting better.  I have found the Commonwealth Games has been a good distraction and European Championships start next week.never lounged about so much in my life before!

Thank you Nikki your advice has helped me throughout and I will be kind to myself and i can do this -  its just two more weeks then the healing begins! 

Carole x

• Hi IvyMay,

Aw thank you and wow you finished last Wednesday so congratulations to you.  Sounds like you are suffering like me so i'm not alone!  

Yes going knickerless does really help.  I do have to cover up for my dog walks which I am determined to keep up at the end of treatment, just walking in the woods is so peaceful and mood boosting.  

Thinking of you and wishing you a speedy recovery and sending healing vibes your way. 

Carole xx

• Hello Carole

In the last days of my treatment I remember walking down the long corridor to the radiotherapy department behind a man who was groaning every step of the way - he was wearing big baggy tracksuit bottoms and was being so careful with every step I thought I bet he is having pelvic radiotherapy too.  It really is the worst of the treatment, but you are nearly done!  I would be surprised if anyone didn't have a weepy weekend, it really can be overwhelming, but I found once I didn't have the make the journey every day my spirits lifted a bit even though the skin round my rear end took some time afterwards to heal.  The team will look after you and make sure that you have all the pain medication and dressings that you need, and don't forget to let them know if it gets too much, they have different things that they can try.  And as Nicola said, lots of sleep, I spent a lot of time in bed as I couldn't sit for long periods and the radiotherapy really leaves you exhausted.  Please come back and let us know how you are. 

• Hi Irene

Thank you for your uplifting message so kind of you. I have visions of the man walking down the corridor poor guy. I have seen a young woman walking really slow with a cushion and thought the same she looks so sad. 

I'm laid on bed now its comfiest place to be! 

Best wishes to you

Carole

• Hi carole21,  like others have said on here you are nearly done and it’s such a relief to not have the daily trek to the hospital and you can just concentrate on looking after yourself. I do remember starting to get very sore and wet just after the treatments finished and I had green puss, sticking labia skin which would bleed when I had to part the skin. One of the things I used to help cool and stop the itch was a product called domeboro soothing skin powders bought off Amazon. You dissolve a sachet in warm water and use a muslin or flannel to soak in the solution and then wring it out and lay down with the flannel between your legs for 15 minutes. This I found really helped cool down the soreness and itching. I did ask my medical team before using and they said it was absolutely fine to. It just helps with also other things like bath soaks etc. I also bought some really funky harem trousers which were really comfortable. If you are not doing them now I would also advise you to start some gentle pelvic exercises which just involves laying down and stretching the pelvis, hips and legs. One of them is called the baby pose lying on your back and holding your ankles. This opens the vaginal area and helps keep things mobile. Good luck

• Hi Jaycee12

Thank you for your message and yes another one over today - so two more! 

Yes I have a yellow liquid and sticky skin its pretty horrible! Like the idea of the cooling skin powder and will check out online will have plenty of time to lay down once treatment ends!

No noone has said anything about pelvic exercises but that's good advice as want to keep mobile presume if I google pelvic exercises I will find them. I was still going to gym start of week 5 but will be giving it a miss for a while now!

Best wishes

Carole