Blood after having a wee and artery blood clot

• 2 replies
  • 36 subscribers

Hello everyone 

I hope you are all as well as you can be.

Last week I spent three days in hospital as a blood clot in my artery was found behind my knee.  They have stopped my chemo tablets and given me blood thinners as they say to operate on the clot is too risky. So that’s a bit scary.  But carrying on radiotherapy, I’m on  24 out of 28.

Firstly I want to pass on what I learnt last week, on Sunday my foot started tingling then a pain shot up the front of my leg and my foot went completely numb and white, pain in leg was excruciating for about a hour.  The surgeon subsequently told me this is when the blood clot occurred, I should have called 999 immediately, they then could have removed the clot as it “was fresh”.  Instead I rang the AOE number and was told to take more morphine, it was probably the chemo working!!! So please if you have this feeling don’t delay in getting the right help.

Secondly just today when I wipe myself after a wee, there is dark brown blood on the tissue.  Has this happened to anyone else? Btw I’m 59 and have long stopped having periods! 

Love Sue xx

• Hi   thanks for sharing this information, it's so important that blood clots are caught asap. Good to hear you're now receiving treatment for it and that you are almost at the end of your radiotherapy.   I have had the dark brown blood after urinating but only when I was having periods years ago, towards the end of a period, so I'm not completely sure what this could be. It could possibly be a sign of infection.  I would consider calling 101 for advice and also call your treating team a call tomorrow.   Bev x

1in1500
  • Hi Ivymay, 

I don’t know if this is any help but towards the end of my radiotherapy I did have bleeding from the vagina. I put this down to the treatment doing it’s thing in that area but checked with the oncologist just to be sure. They said it probably was the radiotherapy but gave me blood tests to check for infection (which it wasn’t) if I were you I’d mention to your treatment team and get them to check you out. 
    I’m 36 so still having periods which may have also been a contributing factor to the bleeding. Always best to check though.