Is it okay to go swimming?

• 6 replies
  • 40 subscribers

Just wondered when it's okay to go swimming again. Do I need to worry about infection? TIA.

• Hi , personally this would be one that I would run past your treating team, I can’t see that once your skin is completely healed there would be a problem I would just query about the internal healing with your Dr’s. Aside from the risk of infection I would have thought that swimming would be an excellent exercise for loosening up stiff hips & the lower back that are often affected by pelvic radiotherapy, it would also be a great way of rebuilding your stamina too. Hopefully if any of our current members have gone back to swimming following our kind of treatment they’ll see this post & offer some advice too. 

Nicola 

• Hi   I tried to respond to the post earlier but for some reason my reply isn't showing. Anyway, I had really stiff legs after treatment, for around 5 months then the pools closed due to the pandemic so it was about a year before I swam again. As has said, best to check with your treating team first. I have been a bit lazy lately and not been to the pool. Your post has inspired me to get back into swimming again Grinning Bev 

• Oh geez, I hope so! I've been taking a lot of comfort from being in the pool. I ddn't even think to run this one by the cancer folks. 

• I'm seeing the oncologist on Monday - I'll ask then.

• Hi Puddy, I’m 3 months post treatment, I’v been on holiday for the past 10 days, iv been swimming, only in salt water swimming pool no chemicals, has been brilliant for my hips and lower back, ok I’m not sore with broken skin or anything like that and like I say I’m not swimming in chlorine, I’m sure it would be fine though!!

good luck

Laura