Fear

• 10 replies
  • 41 subscribers

Dears, thank you so much for all the support and advice I've had since I joined this group. Since I'm in the US, I don't really know how I landed here (thanks, Google!), but this group is better than any of the few I tried that were US-based, so hugs to you all!

I"m now a little over 3 months past treatment. Things are SO much better- but not all the way better. Maybe it was unrealistic to hope that I'd be pain-free and carefree by now. Last week I had SEVEN good days- a new record! But every day so far this week has been really painful, like need an opiate to cope with it painful. I"m so discouraged.

My first post-treatment appointments start next week, one each with my chemo doc, my radiation doc and my gastroenterologist. I'm not generally a wimpy person, but I'm almost paralyzed with dread.

My chemo doc is a sweetheart and I'm not worried about seeing him. He's never 'examined' me and is always positive and encouraging. He'll be my first appointment.

Next comes my gastro, who is my saviour, an amazing woman who actually LISTENEd to me when I told her of the pain I was experiencing and refused to fob me off like seven others before her had done. She rummaged about in there and sure enough, she's the one who found the tumor. She's going to rummage about again in her office, but she's gentle and kind and it'll hurt but I can handle it. She's already said she'll need to knock me out again to do a more invasive exam and probably another biopsy (as it was only the biopsy that found the cancer in the first place) and that'll send me back into the stratospheric pain for at least another week. I curl up into a ball thinkiing of going back to that degree of pain.

Worst is my radiation oncologist, who is, I'm sure, a brilliant doctor and the one primarily in charge of my treatment. But he's got an awful bedside manner, and, worse, he's a tall, big man with fingers the size of sausage buns and when he flipped me over for an 'exam' last time he was so rough that I was in agony for over 24 hours.

I looked into switching docs but, not surprisingly, enormous fingers aren't a basis for doing so. And to be real, if my cancer is gone now, he's the one most responsible for eradicating it. 

But I'm absolutely frozen with terror at the thought of him digging around in there again.

Anyone got any advice for talking myself through this?

I'm also unhappy at my husband, who is my lover and preux chevalier, again witnessing my humiliating exam, but I need him there both to listen to and remember what the doctors say, and to advocate for me if necessary.

• Hi Irene I wish I could say something that would eradicate your fears but unfortunately I can not the only advice I can give is to think to yourself it’s one more day after that it’s done with 

I hope it all goes well for you and is not as painful as you think it will be (don’t forget the tumour causing the pain initially has gone ) please keep us updated big hugs Hugging 

• Dear ritebred, reading your experience from your medical team and compared it to how different my experience was. First of all I would say to those who are examining you that you are experiencing a lot of pain. Is there a pain killer they can give you prior your examination like instagel which numbs the area. I feel we shouldn’t have to keep suffering pain because we are so dam grateful of being alive. Regarding your husband, when my husband came in with me (I am profoundly deaf) to listen to my oncologist and to discuss any problems he was there as a backup to hear and remember what she said. Then when it came to the examination part she asked him to leave the room to retain what dignity we have left after all that we have been through. I would ask your dear husband to say to your doctor that you have come to help support you but out of respect you will leave whilst they are carrying out that intimate procedure. I am quite shocked that the medical team are being so insensitive. I think because they treat cancer patients day in and day out they can easily forget we are not just medical cases, we are people! Also regarding your up and down side effects I would say it’s very early days. I was around four months and feeling things were getting there when I came down with extreme hip pain that I ended up on morphine again! This passed after about two weeks. Fatigue was next so it’s an up and down journey. I am a year post treatment and only really suffer on and off IBS symptoms depending on what I have eaten. Hope this helps. Julie

• I know you didn't mean to be funny but your description of fingers like sausage buns made me laugh out loud!  Four or five weeks ago my clinical oncologist wanted to do a rectal exam and I was in so much pain at the time I was mortified when I immediately started to cry and he said don't worry, I won't do it.  Last week another lovely doctor from the team asked if she could do an RE, and I braced myself and she did, with great difficulty (and she had tiny fingers).   It turns out that I have stenosis of the back passage combined with internal and external piles.  So it may well be that your back passage has also suffered stenosis if you find examination difficult and painful.  The best advice I can offer is to really stress how painful you found it last time, and say you must have someone who has small hands and fingers (probably a female doctor).  Don't allow yourself to be bullied.  Such a pity that compassion and a good bedside manner bypasses some doctors.  Do let us know how you get on, best of luck x

• Thanks, Bev. Appreciate the good thoughts. 

• Thank you so much, Irene! I appreciate the suggestions, and while I'm so sorry about your awful hip pain,, it's also good to know that I"m not really as far past it all as I'd thought, and the bumpy journey goes on.

• I"m not much of a crier but I've wondered if I'll be able to hold it in when the time comes! Maybe it'll help me to just let it all pour out!

I was in a lot of pain for over a year before the diagnosis even happened, so I still don't really know whether all of my butt pain is from cancer or if I had issues beforehand and now I'm just getting back to my rotten old pain. 

The other radiation oncologist is a woman and so nice. I so wish I'd been assigned to her.

• A quick follow up to this- the chemo doc was, as anticipated a pleasant appointment. 

At the gastro doc things got worse. Her little hands didn't bother me, but I'm wondering if some anal stenosis has occurred. The last time she scoped me it was uncomfortable but bearable. This time it was terrible, and made me sob aloud, and bleed. My husband, eyes wide, said, 'That thing was HUGE' so I'm glad I didn't see it. 

The radiation doc, he of the sausage bun fingers, was quite easy. After hearing I'd had an examination earlier in the day he declined to do one at all, just felt lymph nodes. 

I think I'll request some sort of pain mediation before any more intrusive exams. I don't need to be knocked out, but surely they have some sort of inbetween measure. 

• Hi , wow that scope sounded painful!! These aren’t commonplace here in the UK in follow-up appointments, generally it’s scans & DRE’s (digital rectal examinations) & sometimes EUA’s (examination under anaesthetic) to check out suspected scar tissue etc., if the need arises.

I’ve definitely suffered anal stenosis, it was mentioned by both my oncologist & surgeon that things were pretty tight back there & for the first 3 years (approximately) following treatment I relied daily on stool softeners to keep comfortable when having a bowel movement but for the last year I’ve only used them once in a blue moon & my surgeon mentioned that he thought the stenosis was slightly improved when I saw him in June.

I think knowing how painful the scope was I’d be asking for some kind of pain relief if I were in your shoes too! Like you I think there must be something in between nothing & a general anaesthetic that would take the edge off! 

Nicola

• That sounds absolutely awful, I think you may well have stenosis.  I don't know what sort of medication they can give, I know they can use anaesthetic gel but I'm not sure that would be sufficient, perhaps local anaesthetic by injection in the site.  I had to have a rectal examination at my last visit and the (female) doctor really struggled to do it and she remarked how tight I was and she had small fingers.  She confirmed I had internal piles too.  It only lasted about five seconds and I also found it very painful.  I have my next visit in September and will ask for something to help if I have to have another RE and will let you know.  I hadn't heard of an anoscopy was until I read your post, poor you!

• Am I glad to read that!