Has anyone suffered with radiation proctitis?

• 2 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hi All

I'm now 18 months post treatment but suffering from bleeding from bum. Diagnosis is Radiation Proctitis after a flexible Sigmoidoscopy. Has anyone else suffered this? If yes how was it treated and did it get better? 
Ruth

• Hi there ,

I’m really sorry to hear of your diagnosis of radiation proctitis, as I understand this can be quite uncomfortable at times! I believe unfortunately it’s a common side effect of treatment such as ours & from what I understand it’s when the radiotherapy causes internal inflammation which in turn results in the bleeding & discomfort. I seem to recall someone mentioning at some point (not sure if it was here on the forum or a conversation I’ve had elsewhere!) that the condition is usually treated with steroids to reduce the inflammation. Hopefully if there’s anyone else here that has required treatment for this they’ll see your post & be able to offer you some advice from personal experience. I really hope this resolves quickly for you. 

Nicola 

• Hi Ruth. So sorry to hear that you're going thru this. I'm 14 years post treatment now. To improve the quality of my life,  I asked to have a stoma (colostomy), which I had done 3 & a half years ago. I decided I was better off before having the op, so I asked my colorectal consultant if they would reverse it. He sent me for a Flexible Sigmoidoscopy last year to see if the colon could be reconnected. During this test, they took a biopsy from inside the rectum. They saw inflammation and when I saw the consultant, he told me i had radiation 'possibly' proctitis/colitis. I didnt have any bleeding before this sigmoidoscopy but it did bleed a bit afterwards. I presume that was due to them taking a biopsy. The consultant didn't seem concerned and there was no mention of treating it. I presume the inflammation is still there but I don't notice it. 

Due to nothing (except occasional mucus plugs) passing thru the lower part of my colon might be the reason mine hasn't been treated. 

I hope your oncologist will reassure you and treat your inflammation soon Ruth.

Take care. Sue x

Sue