Treatment underway

• 6 replies
  • 38 subscribers

I hope you lovely people are all doing well. I have just finished my second week of chemoradiotherapy at Cheltenham Oncology.  It was a tough start with extreme sickness but I had my anti-nausea adjusted and am managing now. This week was a bit easier apart from feeling very tired, I have a 50 plus minute journey there and back every day which adds to the tiredness. I am finding my appetite has dwindled and I am only managing very bland foods. Is this something others have experienced?  Just wondering if there are any other Gloucestershire people out there with anal cancer.  I am finding myself embarrassed to tell people I have anal cancer, I refer to it as bowel or colorectal, is it just me? 

• Hi 

I had 6 weeks of chemoradiotherapy in London but had a 2 and half hour drive there and back all during lockdown in 2021. 

I found the nausea difficult but the anti sickness tablets really helped, plus I took some boiled sweets with me to suck on the journey which really helped. 

I went right off anything milk based but craved egg mayonaise sandwiches!!! 

It was a constant round of getting up early, journey there, treatment, journey back, try to eat, lay on sofa then bed!! 

I certainly wouldn't be embarrassed about saying what your cancer is, its the sort of cancer people don't really talk to others about and you may find you help other people to be more aware  open up. 

The weeks will fly by and then you can start feeling back to normal. Be kind to yourself and take each day as it comes and use the nurses you see for support with any medication, creams that you need. They are so helpful. 

Take care

Blackswan  

• Hi Lou, 

Well done for finishing week 2, you will soon be half way there. 
    I am not living in Gloucestershire now ( though from Cheltenham) , but appreciate the geography of the area. I finished treatment at the Rosemere Centre, Preston in December 21 and had a 100 mile round trip each day. Although tiring I preferred to get home each day to my own bed, husband and dogs. ( actually that’s probably in the wrong order haha). 
    I also remember the nausea and had some weight loss ( though sadly that’s gone back on now!)This does pass , and as others have said on different posts , it’s just a case of going with the flow, listening to your body and not expecting too much . Metaclopramide tablets helped the nausea and loperamide tablets helped with the other end, particularly with helping me know I wouldn’t have an accident on the motorway on the hour journey to hospital.

Like you, I haven’t been open about saying “anal cancer” rather referring to it as “lower bowel” , I just find it too embarrassing , which is silly isn’t it? Somebody I know a little who was also going through cancer treatment worked out what I had from the treatment I was having. She opened up to me that she too had anal cancer and has been a great support, but again said she hadn’t told others what she had . Funny isn’t it that people can be open about having breast or bowel cancer, but bum cancer feels an emabarassing thing to admit too. How silly is that? It’s not our fault we have it is it?

Anyway good luck with the rest of tumour treatment x

• Thanks Blackswan, sounds like you had such a long journey in comparison to me, funny because I can't stand the thought of egg at them moment but am ok with mild cheddar, philadelphia, plain pasta and noodles. I can manage some apple puree and banana, so I'm not going to starve. Hopefully the nausea will disappear.  Yes, I am getting sore and the nurse gave me some cream to use.

To be honest these two weeks have gone quickly so I am sure it will be over before I know it.  Thanks for your reply.

• Dear Pita, you had a long journey too! My sister offered getting me somewhere to stay nearby but like you I just want to get home to my house and my bed and my dog. My husband is driving me every day so I am very lucky and usually the journey is under an hour unless it's rush hour. I am back on Metoclopramide tablets they didn't work initially so they changed them but then didn't want me to be on the new ones as they can cause constipation, they tired another which gave me horrendous restless/twitchy legs. Fortunately the Metoclopramide seems to be working now. 

I wish I wasn't embarrassed about it and was hoping there would be someone in Gloucestershire with the same. I have told everyone the symptoms because I would hate for anyone not to go to their GP if they had similar symptoms. My anal cancer is quite high going into the rectal area which is why at first they thought that was what it was. I think bum cancer sounds better than anal and you are right it's definitely not our fault for having it.  I had kidney cancer in 2019 and I didn't mind telling people that.

Thanks for your lovely reply, I hope all is well with you. xxx

• Hi Lou, All is good with me now, I am back at work and  just off on a fortnights holiday for a rest as I do get quite tired.still. I am very fortunate to be back to being very active again, even able to get back to horse riding  running and even managed a 20 mile sponsored walk last weekend ( though that was pushing it a bit!). If I am still, eg in the car for a long time or when I get up in the morning , I am really stiff, I feel like my pelvis and hips have taken a real battering from the radiotherapy and have lost a lot of flexibility, but all in all I am very very lucky and can do all the things I used to be able to do ( apart from have sex and poo normally , but hey ho!) 

Like you my anal cancer was high, in fact at the colonoscopy the consultant put in his report that it was probably a rectal cancer and would need surgery /stoma, but then at biopsy it was diagnosed as a squamous cell carcinoma and they have dealt with it by the usual radiotherapy and chemo (mitomycin and capecitabine in my case) My tumour  was T4N2M0 and at my 3 month scan was NED, which goes to show what an excellent success rate the radiotherapy /chemo combination has. Fingers crossed your treatment will be just a successful.

• Amazing Pita, sounds llike  you are doing brilliantly and that's very inspiring for me, especially the result of your 3 month scan. I am on the exactly same treatment as you too. Hope you don't mind if I friend you as it's interesting to hear your experience. x