Hair Loss

• 8 replies
  • 43 subscribers

Good morning. My consultant said I might suffer hair loss. (My treatment starts on 23rd May). I've been googling wigs but it's a minefield. Obviously I want it to look natural, so human hair, but size, whether or not to have a lace cap, no cap..................???? Any tips please, you lovely people? xxx

• Hi   it may be the case that whilst your hair may  thin you won’t lose it completely. With the chemo drugs Mitomycin and Capacetabine that are usually given in the UK it’s not usually expected that you will have complete hair loss. Some on this site have reported thinning whilst others haven’t noticed any hair loss. I have heard that wigs can be itchy so a lining underneath would probably be best. Human hair wigs are expensive so I would check with your Consultant again before investing in one. Bev. 

• Hi, I had mitomycin and capecitabine with 28 days of radiotherapy. My hair thinned but nobody would even notice that. The area I lost hair was in the southern  region! 

I agree with 1in500 and just checking with your consultant again. I wish you the best with your treatment x

• I'm 5 weeks out of treatment and my hair is better then before I started treatment. I had mitomycin and chemo tablets. I've heard people mention that amazon do some nice looking wigs. Hopefully you won't need one. Good luck qith your treatment x

• Thanks everyone. I am having the same drugs, for 5 1/2 weeks. I took the plunge and sent off for a wig, as I don't want to panic if/when it happens. xxx

• Hi , I don’t have anything more to add but on the mitomycin/capecitabine regime it’s unlikely that you’ll lose all of your hair. Mine went a little thinner although nobody else noticed & it was a bit ‘frazzled’ for a few months after but I used good quality SLS & Paraben free shampoos & conditioner, had a couple of good cuts & it was soon back in good condition. 

Nicola 

• I lost hair in the southern region as well, and most of it never grew back, 9 years later.

• I had six months of carbo/taxol prior to chemo/radiation and lost all my hair and eyelashes.  I bought a wig before I started and I never used it - I ended up with a selection of soft jersey cotton caps (made in the colours I wanted by a terrifically helpful seller on Etsy) and a couple of scarves I had already.  My hair had already started to grow back prior to the chemo/radiation and I didn't notice any additional hair loss at all.  My daughter's friend has just lost all her hair due to chemo and also bought a wig but hasn't worn it, she finds it too constricting and hot at this time of year.  Just alternative views!  Best of luck, whatever you decide.

• I’m just finished with my treatment and haven’t really lost any hair apart from down below 

which hospital are you being treated at ? I know at Christie’s they have a lovely lady who you can discuss wigs with as this was a concern of mine due to my son getting married in September