Anyone else?

• 3 replies
  • 39 subscribers

Hi! I’m now just over 3 weeks out of treatment, doing well I think apart from the fact that my body aches… I mean really aches all over, even my mouth when I was eating a butty earlier felt like it ached! I’ve started walking the dog every morning for about 30-45 mins , could it be that ? I work in a busy little cafe so I was used to being active and on my feet all day sometimes without a break 5 days a week , has my body in the 6 weeks of treatment got that used to lying on the sofa and this is it’s way of telling me it doesn’t want to get moving again lol! Just wondered if anyone else had anything similar after their treatment. I’m not tired as such , I don’t feel I need to sleep I just ache!! Other thing I wondered was if my lymphatic system was maybe congested? Any input gratefully received. Thanks all xx

• Hey Alaskita 

I am 2years since finishing my treatment and I can remember that at the end of treatment I actually got a little bit worse before I got better and my oncologist said this was perfectly normal.  

It’s like the treatment finishes and you suddenly don’t have daily hospital sessions and you think you will start to feel better and can just start normal life again, but it’s almost like it all suddenly catches up with you and you feel like you have been hit with a sledge hammer and all your energy has been zapped !!   It’s just the body’s way of saying ok that’s it Still needs to rest,     But then slowly you will start to feel your old self again.  

you may well have overdone it with the dog walking too soon, just start things slowly, as I said your body is still very much recovering and although treatment has ended everything is still working in your body for a good 2-3wks after it stops.  

just take things a bit slower and don’t try to run before you can walk.   Hope that helps. Xxx

• Hello askalita well done managing to go for walks three weeks post treatment. I could not manage that at 3/4/5 weeks after treatment. Internally I was sore for at least four weeks post treatment but then very slowly managed short bursts of walking for about fifteen minutes then back home within reach of a toilet. I also felt fatigued and achy. As time went on I began to improve and around four months post treatment everyone was saying how well I looked(was they just being kind) and felt I was getting back to near normal then started to experience pains in my ribs and leg cramps keeping me awake. It was so distressing and resulted in me having to have X-rays but nothing showed any cause. These just disappeared after two weeks and touch wood 9 months post treatment the pain has not returned. I did have a lymphatic massage to help relieve any congestion in the body and help with stress.  Earlier post treatment for me, progress was a one step forward and two steps back process that slowly improved. 

• Thanks so much for your reply, you’re probably right that I’ve overdone it with the dog walking I’m gonna have a few days off and see if the aches ease up. I think my trouble is I just want to get back to normal asap as I guess we all do, patience was never a virtue if mine !! Thanks again xx