Results…

• 6 replies
  • 39 subscribers

I had my ftf with oncologist today 8 weeks after treatment for an examination and although it’s shrunk it’s still there, I’m trying to be positive but it’s hard, he said the treatment can still work for about 20 weeks so still time for it to work more so clinging to that.

• Hi  this is something that we do see in this Group, with the treatment needing longer to work. By the time of the sixth month scan, people have then reported there is no trace of the tumour. The radiotherapy is very powerful stuff and definitely keeps working for quite some time after treatment ends. I know you’d rather the tumour had been obliterated by your first scan but it’s not uncommon to need a second scan like this. The good news is that the treatment is working, it has shrunk your tumour, it just needs a bit longer to finish it off completely. A second scan is done three months after the first scan. Did your Oncologist give a time frame for your second scan? Bev. 

• He didn’t, he said he would get surgeon to examine me next and then he would see me again in about 4 months, no scan just internal examination, it’s the living in limbo that’s difficult but like you say it’s reducing so going the right way.

• Hi  this can’t be easy for you waiting like this but they need to wait to see the full outcome of the radiotherapy as it is still working. Please let us know how you get on and always post on here for support. Bev. 

• Hi ,

This must be a really stressful time for you. We all hope for that NED result once treatment is over but please try not to lose hope just yet. As Bev has said it’s not uncommon for the tumour not to be completely obliterated at that first check-up, the radiotherapy will still be doing its thing for some time so hopefully by the time you have your next scan you’ll have better results. Just know we’re here for support whenever you need us.

Nicola 

• Hi Sasue, 8 weeks is SO early. I’m really surprised they examined you so soon. I did some reading last night and one of the UK experts recently did a study in the best time to prove an absolute response - and the key date was 26 weeks post treatment!! So that’s proof it carries in working for a long time. Don’t be disheartened. xx

• Thank you all for the great support, has made me feel a bit better about the results, I guess my team didn’t really explain well at the beginning and so I had higher hopes