Pain management

• 3 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hi all.... A close relative has anal cancer that's sadly incurable.  She's in really bad pain any tips about how she might improve this? She's on 500mg co-codamol and the tumor is very near rectum.

Thanks

• Hi ,

I’m so sorry to hear of your relatives diagnosis, this must be a really difficult time for you all. My advice would be to contact your family members Dr/oncologist & request a referral to the palliative care team. Palliative care teams are not just for end of life care etc., they are great in sorting out pain management regimes. I hope you get something sorted really soon. 

Nicola 

• Ok thanks very much for info and thanks for your concern 

• You’re welcome , I feel for you all right now. I know you’ve said your relative has been told her cancer is incurable but has she been offered any treatment such as radiotherapy or chemotherapy to shrink the tumour? I’m not aware of her full circumstances but presume when you’ve said she’s incurable that the anal cancer has metastasised, if this is the case although any treatment wouldn’t be classed as curative at this point it is still often given to make someone more comfortable & offer them more time, many people these days are living with cancer opposed to dying from it as treatments improve to hold this awful disease at bay. 

Nicola