Travel

• 3 replies
  • 38 subscribers

I have recently had an anal cancer cut out at Peterborough City Hospital and now have to attend Addenbrookes Hospital in Cambridge every weekday for five and a half weeks for chemo / radiotherapy. It is about an hour and a quarter drive on a good day or the about the same time by train plus a bus journey at each end. The oncologist told me that I may not be able to drive after the first two weeks as I was likely to be on some strong pain killers by that stage. I worry that a long train and bus journey to and from Cambridge (they do not deal with anal Cancer at Peterborough) will be difficult if I am in pain or incontinent. My partner does not drive, we have no relatives nearby and all our friends have jobs where they could not take every day off for that length of time to drive me. I cannot afford to stay in a hotel in Cambridge during the process and nor would I want to as my partner gets very depressed dealing with their own cancer problems. Has anybody managed to drive themselves this sort of distance throughout the treatment process? Has anyone experience of using public transport with incontinence issues?

• Hi ,

I used the free patient transport service to get to UCLH every day for the 6 weeks last year.  There were often delays but I couldn’t have managed without them.

Your local service is here: https://www.eastamb.nhs.uk/your-service/patient-transport.htm

Good luck & best wishes, Toni

• Hi  and welcome to the group.  has already kindly posted you the patient transport link. Also, everyone’s reactions are very different to the treatment and not everyone will need strong pain killers. I drove myself there and back for the first 3 weeks then as my partner was on leave he drove me for the last 2 weeks but I could have driven myself. My radiotherapy appointments were all in the afternoons and my toilet times were always worse in the mornings. I used Loperamide anti diarrhoea tablets before I left sometimes towards the end if I felt I may need to go en route. You can always wear pads in case the worst should happen on the way. Let us know if you have any more questions. We’re all at different stages of treatment and recovery on her so we all have lots of experience to share. Bev 

• That is really helpful. I will look into it.