creams/gels

• 13 replies
  • 41 subscribers

was anyone given any creams or gels (not including aquamax) to use to help prevent skin breaking down while still having radiotherapy. i keep getting told there is nothing that can be done for the soreness and itching until the skin actually cracks.

i have 2 more sessions to go then i will try to get something from the gp or i will buy something.

has anyone used flamigel?

thank yoo x

• Hi, I am surprised you have not been offered any cream/gel to help your skin heal during treatment. I know that when I asked they gave me some flamigel but it was a very small tube. I used that pretty quickly but they will give you more if you ask. They don’t like you to have any creams on your skin during the actual radiotherapy session as I believe it can reduce the effects. I would advise you to speak to the nurse in charge as I don’t think they offer it normally until your skin starts to have an affect. I asked at the beginning but they said to just use E45 and when/if my skin starts to turn red they will give me something. I ended up buying my own called strataxrt which is expensive but you can use it during the sessions.

• I am now 5 weeks after treatment, was given flamigel RT cream on Day 1 with instructions to use liberally throughout the treatment  and  am still using it!  Also when the skin was really irritating I took a daily anti histamine tablet, which I’m sure helped.  My GP has now put flamigel onto a repeat prescription for me, although I’m hoping I won’t need it for very much longer. Really hope you can get this sorted, you need it ! 

• On the flamigel website they recommend that this is used from day one on the treatment. When I asked for it they unfortunately refused to give me any as they said they don’t provide this until your skin starts to react. I thought that was a bit silly really as the gel is supposed to help prevent up to a point.

• Hi ,

I was prescribed flaminal cream during treatment as soon as my skin began to react, sounds as though it’ll be similar to the flamigel, I also only washed with the QV cream (provided also) which is an aqueous type cream, I still only use this to wash with now 3+ years post treatment as I find anything else irritates & seems to dry out the new skin & surrounding area. I think different hospitals have different approaches but there definitely is something that can be done to hopefully delay your skin breaking down. As  has mentioned I was also asked not to use creams directly before my radiotherapy session but could apply straight after. I would speak to your oncologist or nurse at you treating hospital. My team made a point of asking me each session how my skin was holding up & did I require any more creams etc., & my oncologist was on the ball with advice & prescriptions for pain relief, I’ll be forever grateful for the attention & kindness they all showed me throughout my treatment. 

I hope you get sorted with some creams etc., very soon. 

Nicola

• well my last session was at a different site because of maintenance on the machines. i asked to see a nurse who gave me prescription for flamizine and antibiotics. and 6 rolls of polymem. 

• Hi again ,

Firstly congratulations on completing your treatment, it’s a great feeling isn’t it? I too had Flamazine prescribed on my last session, apparently it contains silver so this is why it can’t be used whilst your having radiotherapy. I hope your healing journey is a smooth one. 

Nicola 

• my oncologist and nurse were the ones that said there was nothing they could do..also they asked everytime if my urine was stinging..never once did they suggest a sitz bath (which i alteady had after it was recommended on here)..the last appointment at the other hospital the doctor told me straight away to wee in water..is QV cream on prescription

• they wouldnt give it to me even when my skin was raw and cracked

• Hi 

The QV cream is basically an aqueous cream & you can buy aqueous cream over the counter but my GP offered to put it on repeat prescription for me as I wash with it also as anything else seems to dry out the new skin & starts to irritate quite quickly. 

Nicola 

• Hi there, 

I was told to buy SrataXRT gel by my oncologist which I used from the outset (it says on instructions not to use during radiotherapy sessions) . It was fantastic and saved me a lot of skin breakage and pain so I highly recommend it.  I was able to purchase it from here (not sure if NHS can prescribe it yet)  

https://www.mwkhealthcare.co.uk/product-page/strataxrt-x-50g

I also used aqueous cream to wash and although I had Flamigel given to me by the radiologist, my oncologist said the StrataXRT has better results. For itching I used Piriton. I also used Polymem dressings in the large size that I cut to shape - this was a wonderful addition as it is padded and has healing properties in it and stops anything touching the site. You can get this via NHS or buy yourself online. You can search Polymem on this group to see top tips on how to use it. I also used Instillagel which is an anaesthetic gel you can use topically and inside, I couldn’t have lived without it! Stings initially but it’s worth it!!