Squamous cell carcinoma of analmargin

• 5 replies
  • 39 subscribers

Hi, I  had a small area removed 3 years ago and the area is now feeling really sore and itchy with a very small lump.  Any advice please.

• Hi 

Can I ask if you’re still being followed up by your colorectal surgeon following the removal of the area 3 years ago & was it diagnosed as SCC? If so I would contact him/her to just to get checked over. These symptoms you’re having may turn out to be nothing but both my oncologist & surgeon have always told me to make them aware of any new symptoms such as lumps & bumps etc. 

Nicola 

• Hi, thank you for replying,  I am still being seen 6 monthly by my oncologist and saw him a couple of months ago. I told him my symptoms and he said the lump although tiny had a rough texture. He said he will see me in October but has sent a telephone appointment.  He did say I may need a biopsy.

I dread going through that again although it's a small surgery it's so painful as I have Crohn's disease and diarrhoea a lot.

Julie

• Hi  I do hope it’s nothing sinister. Hopefully your appointment is at the beginning not the end of October, the waiting is difficult. I would imagine you’ll need a biopsy. Fingers crossed that can happen soon. Bev 

• Thank you, hopefully it is nothing sinister. Best wishes

Julie

• Hi again Julie (),

I know exactly what you mean about the discomfort following the tumour removal as that’s the route I went prior to entering the PLATO trial. I went the opposite way & was chronically constipated following the surgery, although in hindsight I think it was probably down to internal inflammation & lack of space for anything to pass rather than true constipation! 

I would call your oncologist & insist on a face to face appointment for October stressing how worried you are about your symptoms. I also know the prospect of a biopsy isn’t great but it is the only way that you’ll get a definitive answer as to what this lump is.

I’ve everything crossed for you that it’s nothing to worry about. 

Nicola