7 years post NAD - Still all clear but…

• 2 replies
  • 37 subscribers

i was wondering if any of the “oldies”, more than 5 years down the line have found significant bowel issues? 
its been a long time since I was here so I’m skirting around what I want to really ask ..but did your bowel habits completely return to normal, if not, what problems have you had?

I really hope those of you who are about to deal with treatment/going through treatment, or recently finished treatment, don’t mind me asking here? 

thanks,

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi blindfaith,

Im 5 years all clear and  NED. I remember you being around at the time I joined. I had a particularly bad reaction to treatment and am still struggling with my bowels now. It ranges from constant trips to the loo or the opposite. It’s very frustrating but I’ve just learnt to live with it and have an almost second sense of how each day is going to be. I avoid very spicy food which I love and if I choose to treat myself I know I have to put up with the consequences!!! So generally only if I know I’m not going out the next day! I take loperamide maybe once or twice a week just try to even things out. I also got prescribed cavillon spray to protect my skin which is still very fragile. I think managing your diet is probably the most effective way and to be honest if thats the only price to pay for being cancer free then I don’t really mind that.

Lesley

• Hi blindfaith, Congratulations on being 5yrs NED!! Unfortunately for some of us there are long-term effects of radiation treatment. I was diagnosed with radiation proctitis and bowel incontinence about 18mnths after treatment. I am 9 yrs NED Praise the Lord! 

I don't have diarrhea just can't control my bowels. Tried several treatments even therapy to no avail. I watch my diet and if I'm planning on being out for the day I fast until I get home. I do go to restaurants, just have to wait longer after eating for trips to the bathroom. I take a probiotic and Metamucil which helps immensely. 

Last year I was referred to a Gastroenterologists who did a Colonoscopy and discovered I also had ulcerative colitis. I was prescribed Balsalazide 3 capsules twice a day and it has helped me tremendously!

Thankfully this is not the norm and anyone starting or going through treatment don't be dismayed by my diagnosis. I am ALIVE and managing quite well. Just had my 3rd Great Gbaby born on Aug 12th all of which have been born in the last 7 yrs, so I am extremely Thankful for the treatment that saved my Life!

The key for any bowel issues is diet. Know your triggers and try to manage with meds, if you do have diarrhea. There is therapy available and it may help you.

Keep the Faith Bumlanders you are Warriors!!

God Bless, Theresa