Looking Back

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 36 subscribers

Hello, 

I am half way through my treatment and seem to have one issue after another. I cheer myself up by remembering that several people on this forum are several years out of treatment and living a good life......even considering that may have a new normal. When I look back through the forum I read some posts from 12 years ago. It would be amazing to know if some of those people are around today. My oncologist says we are going for a complete cure (I’m stage 2) which is great to hear, but does anyone know of any long term survivors? People who are 8 or more years out? My mental state is not good right now and I think it’s because I have had so many side effects from the chemo and radiation. Any good news would be appreciated! TIA

Meg

• Hi Meg,

Congratulations on being half way through treatment! I remember being where you are now starting to have issues and wondering is this working, am I going to beat this and what's to come. 

I have to say it is a Rollercoaster ride of emotions and it takes a toll on you emotionally and physically! The best advice I can give you is be honest with your Doctors about your issues and ask for help when needed. You can ask for fluids at anytime during your treatment and they help tremendously! Take advantage of the certified dietician and follow their advise. Keep your pain under control and ask for pain meds and take them as prescribed so you won't have breakthrough pain. Keep a check on your temperature and if it goes up call your oncologist immediately!! You probably have found a lot of help with creams and tricks of the trade to help you through the rest of your treatment from fellow Bumlanders going through treatment with you on this site. It was a life saver for me, because we were all going through it together. We shared our thoughts on what was working and encouraged each other along the way.

I was diagnosed with T2 on August 15th 2012 and coming up on my 9 year cancer FREE Anniversary!! I have had a few pumps in the road, but am leading a fairly normal life. I have been Blessed with 2 Great Grandchildren and another one on the way!! I am living life to the fullest and Praise God for every new Day! 

You got this!! You are half way through to a CURE!!

God Bless You, Theresa

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Amazing Grace

Theresa,

I can’t tell you how inspiring your words are to me. When you’re in the trenches it’s hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I am so happy for you on your 9 years cancer free. I honestly don’t know what I would have done without the wonderful people on here to turn to when I need help. My oncologist is very hard to get to know. He isn’t very warm or personable.........he is known for his lack of bedside manner. To be fair he may be a compassionate person but he doesn’t show it to his patients. Luckily my radiologist is very easy to talk to. Thank you, again for replying, it means the world.

Meg

• Hi  fortunately anal cancer does have a high chance of being cured successfully. I'm pleased to see that   has posted and  it's reassuring for us all that she is so far out of treatment,  There's also a blog you may be interested in reading of Willo who is 35 years out of treatment for anal cancer. If you click on this link and look on the right hand side of the page under 'related blogs' you can read her story there https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_types/anal-cancer-forum/   the early days are so very difficult, a cancer diagnosis tips everything upside down.  Support is always available for you here.  Bev x