IBS symptoms

• 3 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Hi! 

I'm coming upto 2 years post treatment and just wondering if anyone suffers with IBS type symptoms. I was always told this would be likely but just wondering if anyone experiences this and has any tips and tricks that might help?

It seems to have flared up at the moment with lots of wind, bloating and cramping. I've not changed my diet so cant really pinpoint a trigger. I've been trying windeze and buscopan but not really sure what to do for the best. I suffer with gastric reflux too which I had before treatment and that has all been flaring again too. 

Is this a long term side affext that others have experienced? I'll raise it at my next appointment but starting to worry a little (as I do) as to whether its normal? 

• Deb x 
  • Hi Deb (),

You’re not alone!! I also suffer these symptoms periodically. I was slightly prone to bloating & gas as a result of eating certain foods prior to treatment but like you now I don’t seem to be able to pin it down! It doesn’t seem to affect my bowel movements either, I don’t go more or less often, that all just seems to stay the same. The last time it happened was a couple of months ago & it was relentless for around 3-4 weeks, whatever I ate seemed to result in these symptoms. As a last resort I stopped the stool softeners for a couple of weeks, it was the only thing I’d not tried eliminating & low & behold the bloating & gas stopped! I’ve since had to start the stool softeners again after around 3 days of horrendously difficult bowel movements that resulted in a lot of time spent in the bathroom, bleeding & a lot of soreness but I’m ok on them again now, so strange! 

Nicola 

• Hi   I'm almost 2 years post treatment too and am having a flare up at the moment with boating, wind and mucous which then makes me sore.  It began yesterday and I had eaten and drunk exactly what I normally do. It's very annoying. I take activated charcoal tablets from Holland and Barrett, they do help with reducing the bloating and the wind. The mucous is still there though, I have to keep washing as it aggravates the already sensitive skin in my back passage.  Bev x

• Thanks both for your replies, it's so reassuring to know that's it's pretty much par for the course.

It seems to have settled down again now thank goodness after a few days of buscopan and windeze!! Seems a bit of a juggle to get right and I suppose it's probably food related to, although not sure what I had that was any different.

Not been so good on the water though and I do find that makes a big difference!

Thanks again for easing my panic! 

Deb x