Agony

• 5 replies
  • 40 subscribers

Hi guys 3 days post treatment in agony when opening bowels is this to be axpected? Is the only thing i can do load up on pain relief and will it settle down? Thank you Regards Paul

• Hi Paul, from what I have read on this site yes it is to be expected and many on here have found ways of coping with this. One is sitting on a sitz bath which is a little bowl that sits on the toilet and you fill with some warm water and sit on it whilst passing a bowel movement. I am sure you will hear from some on this site that will give you some excellent advice on managing the symptoms from treatments. 

Julie

• Hi Patski2, 

I'm sorry that you are suffering with the post treatment problems. I've just passed the two weeks post treatment mark so I know exactly what you are going through! The only way I've gotten through this torturous toilet experience is by taking laxido which makes the stools very soft and easier to pass and trying to make sure I try to have some morphine/pain killers at least an hour before obviously in our situation we are never sure when we need to go and most of the time I have to run. Use water wipes wrapped around some toilet paper to wipe as toilet paper alone will feel like sandpaper. The portable bidet or sitz bath is for sitting in to ease sore bottoms and female girly bits when weeing not to pass bowel movements into as that would be very, very messy. Cream regularly especially before and after. Things do get easier but I'm still going through this process. I hope this helps xxx

• Thanks for your replies some good advice and Mecca im sorry your still going through it this really is way worse than i imagined i was doing well until week 5. Regards Paul

• Hi Paul (),

Unfortunately what you’re experiencing right now is normal at this stage yes. As  has said keep things as soft as possible, your hospital team or GP will be able to supply you with laxido stool softening sachets or something similar, I’m now 3 years post treatment & still take a sachet every morning! Also as  has said if you have a portable bidet then sometimes having a BM in the water helps although I never tried this I found I was just better keeping everything as soft as possible.   Also I found washing opposed to wiping afterwards was more comfortable. 

Things will improve once your side effects have peaked & you begin healing. 

Nicola