Diagnosed Today

• 3 replies
  • 38 subscribers

I've been reading many of the posts here and feel a bit calmer now.  Starting treatment soon, and hearing from others that have experienced the treatment is better than doctors reciting the details.  Thanks everyone for sharing the good and the bad.  Knowing what to expect makes me feel more apt to say I can do this.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

You can do it , everyone is different,  I had under estimated the skin reaction but the cream they give out works well

• Hi ,

I’d just like to offer you a warm welcome to the online community & our group although I’m sorry that you find yourself here. I was given the Macmillan booklets on my day of diagnosis back in February 2018, I came straight home, cried, read the booklets & joined the online community & this group straight away. It’s the best thing I ever did. The support, advice & encouragement I received was second to none, between members that had been through what I was facing to befriending a lovely lady that started treatment the same time as me & we shared our treatment stories daily. 

I think often Drs have to give you the details of worst case scenario, as these treatments have so many side effects than ‘can’ occur but most of them rarely do. You’re bombarded with so much information at diagnosis with a whirlwind of scans, tests & preparations for treatment it can be quite overwhelming so if you think of any questions you’d like to put to any of us then please don’t hesitate, there’s usually someone around that will answer your post pretty soon. 

You sound a little like myself in the fact that information is power, I like to be in command of all the facts & that allows me to get my head around things, maybe that’s the control freak in me! lol

You most definitely can do this Muscle

We’re here for you.

Nicola

• Hi I'm glad to hear that reading the posts has helped and I agree it's much better to hear from people who have gone through the experience. For my part treatment was way better than I had expected. I did not get a severe skin reaction and so wasn't in the pain I had expected. As has said, the doctors do tell you the worst case scenario. My Oncologist talked about all my skin breaking down and sloughing off. That never happened. All the information I read online suggested the treatment was far worse than I found it. Luckily I then found this group!  You can most definitely do this. The treatment duration is quite short, it does tend to fly by.  Please let us know if you need any support or have any questions. Bev