Pet scans

• 7 replies
  • 40 subscribers

How often do you get pet/ct scans after treatment is done? I finished treatment early Feb,  pet/ct in early may.  When should next one be? Or what is usual? Thx!

• Hi,  I think it may depend from one area to another but it generally seems to be the case that after your first scan (pelvic MRI)  at 3 months post-treatment provided that scan shows the tumour has gone, the next is a CT scan of the lungs and liver one year post-treatment. That CT scan is then repeated at two years post-treatment. For the first two years you should also receive 3 monthly  DRE's (digital rectal examinations) along with a physical examination of the lymph nodes in the groin. For years 3, 4 and 5 post-treatment you should receive 6 monthly DRE's an groin lymph node physical checks. However, should you have any symptoms during this time you should let your Oncologist know and you may be given further scans. BTW congratulations on finishing treatment! x

• I think it must vary significantly by health board. I am 14 months post treatment, I was given a pelvic MRI 3 months after treatment and was told I wouldn't receive another scan. I get a physical examination every 12 weeks which will continue for 5 years. The only way I will get another scan is if they feel something untoward during the physical X

• Hi there ,

As has already been said I think each health authority operates a little differently. I’m just over 2 years post treatment, I’m also part of a clinical trial. I had an MRI & CT at 3 months & then at 12 months, I’ve just had my 2 year scans & my oncologist said the last time that I spoke to him that my surgeon would more than likely order scans at 3 years also, past that I’m not entirely sure. I’m now on 6 monthly DRE’s. I think we all pin a lot on having these scans, they give us reassurance & rightly so but my tumour wasn’t visible on either of my diagnostic scans although my surgeon said he could definitely feel it & this is exactly why DRE’s are considered the best follow-up for our particular cancer. 

Nicola

• Thank you so much for the feedback.  So reassuring!!!

• Thank you! It's good to not feel alone in this journey!!

• That's good to know about the scans.  Thx so much!!!

• Hi - You got an MRI and CT at 3 months. Is a CT the same as an PET SCAN?