I would like to share my experience with anal cancer

• 2 replies
  • 39 subscribers

I am new to this forum & it seems that my experience is a bit different to other members. Diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma T2 in July 2019, 6 days later was sent for surgery to create a stoma & was told I would have 6 weeks chemo/radio..Went to see consultant at cancer hospital an hour away & was told that chemo was too toxic for me, & was told I would have 10 days radiotherapy..I am 75 with copd, & arthritis etc. So August I had the 10 sessions & at the end my bottom, spine & surrounding areas were extremely painful & still are now 6 months later, I was told that the radio would hopefully control my cancer & shrink my tumor a bit & give me longer before it spread..Went back for mri & ct results December & was told the tumour had completely disappeared..I couldn't believe it , I kept asking the doc if he was sure & he comfirmed it several times untill it had sunk in..Now I have read all of your stories & it seems that everyone has had to endure awful painful treatments & I got off rather lightly with only 10 days radio..I still have my stoma & feel lucky that I don't have to poop the normal way which I imagine must be terribly painful..I just wonder why I have a stoma & it seems no one else has one.

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to hear that you were diagnosed with anal cancer last year but pleased to hear that the tumour has completely gone after radiotherapy.

I can't answer your question about why you've had a stoma and other people haven't but noticed that your post hadn't had any responses. By replying to you it will bump it back to the top of the page where it'll be more easily spotted.

I'm also tagging this group's Community Champions and into my reply as they may be able to help with your question.

When you have a minute it would be useful if could pop something about your journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi ,

Welcome to the online community although I’m sorry you’ve had the need to find us. 

Although your treatment has been slightly different to most people’s can I congratulate you on having a complete result & there being no sign of your tumour! There are many members on here that have been diagnosed much further on & have had a complete response also. The whole stoma thing seems to differ between hospitals/oncologists as well as personal circumstances to be honest, we have a few members on this forum that have had temporary stomas & a couple that have had permanent ones it just seems to vary. If you click on my username at the top of this message you’ll be able to read a bit about my journey there. 

Regarding your discomfort it’s still pretty early days but please be assured that thing do improve albeit gradually. 

Hope that reassures you a little. 

Nicola