Swimming

• 5 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hi guys, hope everybody is well.

My local council and Macmillan have paired up to offer health and fitness classes specifically for people with cancer. I have never been able to swim in my 40 years on this planet! So, I am joining their 1 to 1 swimming buddy class. I am a bit scared about even being seen in a swimming costume let alone wondering how the chlorine will affect my skin. So, basically I just wondered if anybody had any good recommendations for costumes that would maybe "hide" my bottom half and tops of legs, sure I have seen some that maybe have a skirt type bit? And I presume the chlorine will be ok and not sting?

Thanks for any advice

Claire Xx

• I’m going to ask about the chlorine at my appointment this week. I used to swim but haven’t since treatment. I will let u know what advice I am given x

• I asked about swimming at my last hospital appointment and was told there was no problem.   I wondered about the risk of infection.   My lovely consultant seemed to find my question amusing, probably the first time he had been asked this!

However I haven't been swimming since asking, I suppose I am still a little nervous.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Yorkshire OAP

My oncologist advised me not to swim until my skin was intact/healed as there was a risk of bacterial infection. 

I have quite bad scarring and skin discolouration on the insides of my thighs. However, I wear a normal swimming costume as it can’t really be seen unless I open my legs wide. 

As time has passed I don’t really care about my scarring anymore. It’s just part of me. 

Swimming is really good for any aches/pains you may get in your legs and hips. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I’ve always been a bit shy about my bottom half so never felt comfortable in a normal swimsuit, even before all this. Look out for boy leg styles, they have little legs like boys boxer shorts. Sports direct usually have them.

xx

• I asked the doc at my appointment if it's ok to go swimming with the chlorine and he said it would be fine x