Coil Removal

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Well I plucked up the courage to have my smear and my coil removal. My GP doesn’t do coils so I went to the Sexual Health Clinic.

After a long anxious wait I saw a very kind Dr. She said she wasn’t happy with me having no contraception without a blood test first for FSH. So I  went home and used my GP’s new online consultation service and got a useful response within a couple of hours:

“Yes, an FSH blood test can be used to assess - if NORMAL then alternate contraception is needed to prevent pregnancy, up to age 55. If HIGH then this suggests menopause/no longer ovulating, and nil further contraception will be needed.”

They booked me in for the test and I had it this morning, results next week so will go back and have my coil removed once I get confirmation.  Pregnancy now would be unthinkable and sex is tricky enough without having to deal with condoms too.

Just wanted to let any else know that it’s worth getting the FSH blood test before trying to get them to remove your coil, unless you’ve gone a year without a period.

Oh and the Sexual Health Clinic don’t do smears so I still need to book that too :/ 

xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

hi 

I was advised to have my merina coil removed prior to treatment. However, when I went to have this done the strings couldn’t be found and I was told it would have to be surgically removed. There wasn’t enough time so I left it in and carried on with treatment. 

I had the blood test for FSH last year, it confirmed that my hormones were in keeping with the start of the menopause. My GP advised I should still use contraception up to age 55. She also advised that I have my coil removed and refitted as it may have been damaged by the radiotherapy.

I’ve done nothing about it as the thought of having it removed surgically and refitted with the stenosis, fills me with dread and I’m not having sex anyway. So I’m leaving it until I have to absolutely do something about it. 

For me, getting the smear done and dusted is the priority and if that goes okay then I might then deal with the coil issue.

It sometimes feels like its never ending!

Good luck with it all, keep updating us.

Sx

• Hi Trish ()

I still have a Mirena coil in situ, I asked my oncologist if I should have it removed before treatment, I presumed it would need removing, but he said it was fine to leave in & wouldn’t affect treatment or treatment wouldn’t affect it! I’m 55 in April & my coil is due to be removed this year, quite honestly I’d sooner have it done under sedation but we’ll see, at my last smear test before my surgery & treatment the nurse said she could see the strings but who knows what the radiotherapy has has done!! I’m going to enquire with my GP as to where I should go to get it removed, it was put in at the family planning/sexual health clinic so maybe I’ll need to go there to get it removed.

Let us know how you get on. 

Nicola