Scanxiety

• 6 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hi 

So getting the news at the beginning of December that my treatment had been successful is really only just starting to sink in and today I got my appointment for the next scan. It seems to have come round so quickly.

I dont want my anxiety to kick back in, but on seeing the letter, it definitely is. How does everyone cope? How do I stop the 'what ifs'? 

Really good to get some perspectives to keep me sane if that's possible!!

Deb x 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Deb

Everyone gets scanxiety, its very normal to feel like this.  Just remember there is no reason for you to think there will be any bad news. Its just a matter of getting you mind around that. Once you do you can switch it off for most of the time.

Try a bit of physcotherapy maybe? It's worked really well for you in the past hasn't it.

There is  no reason to think there is anything to worry about so dont do it. Sounds easy I know but you need to hang into that fact. 

Your going to be fine. :) x

Ian x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi 

You are now entering a new chapter in your cancer story. Yes the cancer has gone YIPPEE! and there is life after cancer, however it can be challenging sometimes. Only people who go through it, really understand. 

We are all kept under surveillance for a long time, 5 years to achieve cure is a long time so we have to adapt and learn to live with the anxiety that regular check-ups, scans and thoughts about the 'what ifs' brings. I will say however, that over time it gets easier. The anxiety doesn’t go away but you worry less.

I’m almost 19 months NED. For the first year after treatment, I would get very anxious in the lead up to check-ups/scans. I’d start worrying about 4 weeks before, it would be on my mind constantly and I never felt I could plan any further ahead than 3 months. These days I find that the period of time I worry gets less each time. I recently had a check up and only started to get anxious about a week before, the actual day was awful, then you get on with life again. 

Just remember that its a positive that we have these check-ups if something were to re-occur/spread we’d want to know early doors wouldn’t we so something could be done. These appointments are scary but they are also very reassuring.

We all find our own ways of coping, these are my tips for when you’re feeling anxious:

• Get outdoors, go for walk etc
    • Exercise, especially something mindful like yoga, swimming or jogging.
    • Set yourself a target so you have a focus everyday, could be some DIY you’ve been meaning to do, changing a bedroom around, training for a charity run etc
    • Go to the cinema, it focuses the senses sitting in a dark room, you can switch off
    • Treat yourself, good shopping, have nice baths, get your hair, nails done etc
    • Meet friends for coffee/lunch/dinner
    • volunteer, do something to help others
    • Each time you have a dark thought say out loud “my check-up will be OK, it will be clear, there is no cancer"
    • keep using this forum, someone will always respond to help you feel better
    • dark thoughts will come just let them pass, remember its all part of a natural neurological process. 
    • If you have a bad day, just accept it and let it pass, tomorrow WILL be better

Also, check with your hospital what life after cancer support they provide. I’m just about to complete an 8 week survivorship course at my hospital. Its been intense but very useful and I’ve met some great people. I put my name down for it over a year ago, its taken that long for it to happen. So enquire now as there may be a waiting list. 

If at any point you feel that your anxiety is becoming bigger than you, that its stopping you from achieving every day tasks and affecting your confidence, then seek medical advise. 

No-one knows what the future has install for them, its completely out of our control. 

Your cancer has gone its time to start living and enjoying life again.

Sx

• Hi Deb, my next CT scan is due in February. I know as soon as the appointment letter comes my anxiety levels will increase. I've been referred to a psychologist by my hospital consultant for coping strategies but am still on the waiting list. I don't want to have to go through feeling like this every time a check up/scan is nearing so I'm hoping that seeing the psych will help. Maybe see if you could also be referred ? I also find keeping busy keeps my mind off things but you can't keep busy all the time unfortunately x

• I went for my 6 month check-up yesterday - all good. I was very surprised to be told I would not be getting any more scans and would just be seen every 12 weeks for the next 5 years and get a physical examination. Apparently the only time I will get a scan is if they feel anything untoward. Not sure how I feel about it all X

• Hi ,

I’ve always been made aware, especially by my surgeon, that physical examination (DRE) is by far the most reliable way of detecting AC & any recurrence. For example I was thankfully picked up very early T1N0M0, my tumour had only just begun growing into the muscle hence the opportunity for a local resection to remove the tumour as first line treatment. Although my tumour was 2cm in diameter it was only 2mm in depth & was undetectable on both my initial CT & MRI scans but my surgeon stated on his first examination that he could ‘definitely feel it’!  So I suppose what I’m trying to say is try not to worry too much about the lack of scans, as long as you’re getting regular DRE’s that’s the important thing, each hospital, as we know with the slight differences in treatment protocol, work a little differently & I suppose follow up is the same. I’m in a clinical trial which dictates a strict follow up protocol, I’m 19 months post treatment now & still on 3 monthly checks with oncology & 6 monthly checks with my surgeon, most would have been discharged into solely surgical care by now but the trial dictates I’m seen by oncology also throughout the 5 years! I’m also scanned on a yearly basis but again I’m not sure this would be the case if I weren’t in the trial! 

Nicola

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Nikki65

I’m finding ways clearing  out stuff I don’t want really helps me. Going through a drawer or a cupboard and chucking out/recycling/charity shopping stuff. It gives me something else to think about and makes me feel like I’m metaphorically getting rid of the cancer, especially when I find something that’s been lurking for ages that I can throw out.

xx