Good News!

• 11 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Hi All

Have just got my post treatment scan results - Consultant just said really good news we cannot see anything on the scans presumably that is the same as saying NED/complete remission - I was so relieved I didn't ask any questions.

Results are still sinking in but v happy and relieved as best outcome I could have and what we all want to hear.

Sadly I am also a natural worrier and part of me is still anxious - any tips on moving forward without spending my life worrying about what might happen?

Deb1E

ps on the downside still have to persevere w the dreaded dilators....

• Deb1E

Brilliant news!!! Congratulations, I know you must be so relieved! 

Deb xx 

• Hi ,

That’s fantastic news, the best you could have hoped for I’m sure. It’s perfectly normal for it to take a little while for this news to sink in, just one of the ways a cancer diagnosis affects us all, I think we lose trust in our body’s for a while afterwards!

As far as moving forward is concerned I think that’s a little different for everyone, we all find ways to gradually move on from this. The normality of everyday life returns once we’re healed from treatment & back to work etc., I sometimes feel I’m moving on in leaps & bounds then other times I remember it’s 5 years before I’ll be given the ‘all clear’ & the worry & anxiety returns & I feel in the midst of it all again, but  again from reading other people’s stories this isn’t abnormal! There is another group within the online community Life after cancer - Discussion Forum, also you can access counselling services through Macmillan & Cancer Connections etc., if you feel you’re struggling to move forward. Early days yet though, for now just soak in the brilliant news you’ve just received & enjoy. 

I'm over the moon for you. 

Nicola 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Congratulations Deb that’s wonderful! Well done for sticking with it all the way through.

i deal with my stress in different ways. Mostly I think ‘I’m not going to worry about this now’ and think about something that does need my attention.

Also I think I don’t want to waste my precious and wonderful life by worrying about death and dying.

Sometimes it does creep up on me but I find this forum or the ever brilliant  usually calms me down again.

Enjoy your fantastic news,

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Sometimes you just need a few words to put everything back together when you have a few dark moments don't you. 

I remember when I really struggled at the beginning of the procedure how much smrichie5 and Nikki65 did to help me keep things together. 

The site is very valuable. 

Ian x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

Yayyyyyyyyy!!!! wonderful news, so happy for you. Yes, if they can’t see any evidence of disease then you are NED.

Try to enjoy your good news, it can take a while to sink in. When I received my news I was happy obviously but, also in disbelief for some time. The cancer treatment is short, so to be told so quickly that you're cancer free can take a while for the old brain to process. You really do have to give yourself time to take it all in and adjust. Please remember that you are still healing, the radiation is still working for quite some time and side effects can linger and suddenly pop up. You need to take care of yourself and be patient. 

I to have always been a worrier although strangely, I now worry less. I guess I just worry about the big stuff now. I think once we’ve had a cancer diagnosis it changes us forever. Life after cancer can be challenging due to side effects and the worry around the ‘what ifs’. Its all to be expected and we all deal with it in our own way.

For the first year post treatment, I found I worried a lot about recurrence, the thoughts just kept popping into my head and I found it hard to plan ahead. I was told by a therapist that over time these thoughts wouldn’t go away, but that they would move from the forefront to the back of mind. She was right. 12 months post treatment and I was and still am, living life pretty much as I always did. My anxiety only really occurs around check-up and scan time or if I read sad stories.

The things that have and still help me are: reminding myself that I can’t predict the future, no-one can. That its okay to worry, have negative thoughts etc but we have to learn to let them go like leaves on a stream. Yoga and mindfulness have helped me with this. I also exercise a lot and have found this great for my physical as well as mental health. I plan lots, so my family and I have lots to look forward. I've also made some small changes to my diet and feel that the combination of eating well and exercise makes me feel stronger. Of course I fall of that wagon regularly and indulge and thats okay to. I’ve also gone out of my way to find new hobbies. I joined a choir, as I love singing, and knew no-one. It was quite refreshing to be around people that didn’t know about my cancer experience. Although they all know now and our concerts are always to fundraise for cancer charities.

I also practise a little daily gratitude exercise ‘3 good things’. I have a book and every day I write down 3 good things that have happened however, small or big. This can help you focus and to see that even on a down/challenging day you can still find good things. Give it a try.

Continuing to talk to people who understand is important and you may also wish to explore support your hospital offer. Most hospitals offer complimentary therapy. I’m just coming to the end of an 8 week ‘Survivorship’ course. It’s been brilliant. These courses tend to have long waiting lists so although you might not feel you need it now, get you name down for one. You can always cancel if you’re offered a place further down the line.

Everything will improve with time, be kind to yourself.

Congratulations again Deb.

Sx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you

• That’s really very good news. I am waiting to be referred to a psychologist for coping strategies as we still have another 5 years of scans. I’m fine now but I know anxiety will still creep in around scan times and I need to be aware of coping mechanisms. Please also be aware that you may have flat ups as in skin issues post-radiation. The hospital didn’t advise me that this may happen so if any issues arise always come on this site and ask questions. I spent Xmas/New Year worrying about what was happening but then this forum put my mind at rest. I also think the worries will decrease over time. X

• *flare ups* I meant not flat ups! 

• Hi 

Thank you.  I am - taken a few days to sink in.  Been a bit of a wake up call so going to start tackling all the things I have been putting off for various reasons over the last few years and try and find a better work/life balance.

Hope you are ok

Deb1E x

Carpe Diem
    Deb1E
  • Hi all

I intended to reply to each posting but my response to Debh1 came up as a new posting at the end of the trail so doesn't make much sense to anyone reading it.  

Wanted to say thank you for all the good wishes, advice and support.  I work from home so spend much of my day on my own - not always a good thing if you are a worrier but my New Year's resolution (albeit late) is to try and find a new hobby or two so watch this space!  My Consultant told me that most New Year's resolutions have failed by 17th January so hopefully by starting late I will be more successful.

Hope you all have a good day.

Deb1E xx

Carpe Diem
    Deb1E