Running

• 7 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hi all,

I was diagnosed on 12/3/2019  with squamous cell carcinoma Stage 1.  I start chemo/radiation on Monday.  I am on a clinical trial with Mitomycin C and Capecitabine with four weeks of radiation.  They said I'm a good candidate for lesser radiation due to the early stage.

I love to run and bike.  I'd like to hear what the journey has been back to these activities and time frame.  I'm struggling with the unknowns.

Thanks and best to all!  

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi,

Sorry to hear your news must have been a shock.

I was diagnosed with anal cancer stage two and breast cancer stage one beginning of September and started treatment for anal cancer not long after.  I started five weeks of chemo/rad and was given Mitomycin (IVF first day) and Capecitabine daily via tablet.  Also daily Radiation having a break on Saturdays and Sundays.  I finished treatment for this end of Oct and shortly after headed in to treatment for breast.

I travelled daily from Essex up to my London hospital on the train (approx 90 mins each way) the whole way through my treatment and coped.  It is possible to stay active throughout although week four or five the side effects will usually start to appear.  Painful toilet (they give you as many coping mechanisms as possible),  fatigue and general feelings of feeling unwell. After you finish treatment for most the two to three week period after is when the real work starts (inflamed peeling skin,  painful toilet motions etc) and then it gradually gets better.  I have just started 10 sessions of physio to help build up my wasted muscle again around the thigh and bum area,  as my joints feel like that of a very old woman (I’m 39!) and this doesn’t seem to be improving on its own.  I’ve managed to get up and out most days (shopping,  park with my daughter,  dancing etc) but you may find you need more rest after normal life activities to let your body catch up. 

I stopped needing painkillers or stool softeners two weeks after treatment and only take Ibuprofen or Paracetamol when everything is aching after a busy spell. The two weeks after I finished chemo/rad were by far the worst but I would say only 50% of what they told me and you do cope with it somehow!

Today I guess two/three months on my biggest issue is the urgency to pass urine or a stool throughout the night only (going back to find out why!) but you will find many of these little nuisances now pop up and you deal with them as and when.  

Because I have breast cancer also I haven’t been able to return to work as heading in to treatment for this but if I didn’t I would say I would prob be getting back to normal life right about now with a bit of physio and diet thrown in!

Hope this helps and good luck xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

Welcome to our forum although I’m sorry you find yourself here. This is the best place to come for honest information and advise from people who really know what it’s like. 

Firstly, it’s very positive that your cancer has been found early and that you will receive the lesser dose of radiation. We all react to the treatment differently and everyone experiences similar side effects however, your recovery mat well be quicker than someone like myself who was stage 3. Incidentally, I’m 18 months cancer free so this treatment is very effective and works whatever stage you’re originally diagnosed at.

In terms of exercise it’s hard to say as you won’t know how you’ll feel until you start treatment. I exercised a lot pre-treatment but during treatment I stopped and I didn’t get back into exercise until 6 months post treatment. Starting gently with yoga and building upto running. Didn’t take me long to get back into it and within the same year I was running 10k’s for charity. My side effects however, were quite severe due to the amount of radiation I had. It was the fatigue, bowel and skin changes that stopped me from exercising earlier. Hopefully someone who was stage 1 and exercises, will respond soon with their experience.

As it’s already been said, the treatment is manageable and you will be able to function throughout. I travelled to hospital everyday on my own it was only towards the end of treatment that I really started to feel the effects and needed help. The treatment is short and passes quickly. The radiation works for upto a year so the side effects can linger for some months. Nothing that will get in the way of living more an inconvenience that you will need to adapt to.  

These days I exercise just as I always did if not more. I have lost a little flexibility in my hips and I can’t do some yoga poses as well as I did but I often look around the class and feel quite pleased that little me the cancer survivor is still alit more flexible than many other people in the class. 

You will need to put life on hold for a little while whilst you focus and rid your body if this disease but you will get your life back. 

Good luck and keep posting on here. 
    Sarah x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Welcome to the group,

I carried on my usual circuit training and weight lifting until 2 weeks into treatment for stage 3 AC.

I had more radiotherapy and for longer than you.  While our experience will all be unique to us, I think you’re likely to recover a little faster than I did, as I had 5 1/2 weeks rather than 4.

I started losing weight and was told off by the nurses, so stopped exercising apart from walking the dog. Towards the end of treatment I got too tired to give him a proper walk and got a dog walker to help.

After my treatment ended on 12 September I was too tired to do anything for a couple of weeks. I went back to my exercise class after 6 weeks and could do about half of what I could before before I got tired. Every week I could tell I was getting more stamina. Now I’m back on form, I can tell I’ve lost fitness from not exercising for so long, but I feel pretty good. 

Riding a bike though, hmm, not so sure about that. I can dance until 1am and do star jumps and squats to my hearts content, but everything down there is a bit tender still, so sitting on a bike seat isn’t great.

Recovery from AC is physically hard work, so in the short term you’ll need to ditch the exercise and use everything you’ve got to focus on getting better. I’m pretty much back to normal 4 months after treatment ending.

best wishes,

• Hi ,

Your staging is the same as my own was back in February 2018. I’m also part of a trial, I’m presuming it’s the Plato trial you’re in? My chemoradiotherapy was 23 fractions of reduced strength radiotherapy Monday-Friday along with mitomycin infusion day 1 & capecitabine twice a day every day of radiotherapy. 

As far as the exercise is concerned just play it by ear, I felt reasonably well throughout treatment but around week 3 my skin began to react & get a bit sore & the fatigue kicked in, I found I was napping at least once during the day & still sleeping well at nighttime too! The 2 weeks post treatment was when my symptoms peaked & I slept a lot! I’m now 17 months post treatment with NED & although completely healed things are still pretty tender in that department! 

As everyone else has said already life goes on after this treatment, you may need a few little adjustments but you’ll get there. 

All the very best of luck for tomorrow. 

Nicola 

• Thank you for the feedback.  I'm so sorry to hear of breast cancer as well.  That has got to be so tough and traveling 90 mins back and forth.  I can only imagine wanting to be close to the W/C.

Good to know that the following two weeks after treatment are the worst.  I know everyone is different and I'll have less exposure too.

Good luck on the physio and if you find anything that is a go to, please let me know:)

• Hi!

Mine is called DECREASE.  It's similar but even less.  My chemoradiotherapy is 20 and reduced strength radiotherapy Monday-Friday along with mitomycin infusion day 1 & capecitabine (1300 mg) twice a day every day of radiotheray.  

Thank you so much for sharing:)

They also insert a vaginal balloon and fill with water to help with long term effects.  I have to not urinate 1 1/2 hours prior to insertion and drink lots of fluid.  All went well today but that was the most uncomfortable:).

• Hi Trish,

Good to know about dancing, star jumps and squats!:)  I'm probably worrying too much about "leakage" and I know what will be will be.  I've bought more baggy cotton workout pants than the spandex leggings.  

I had a hysterectomy in 2015 and have adhesions have constricted a lot of core work so it's always an adjustment to find what works well and what doesn't.

Thank you for sharing:)