Final Day of Treatment

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 7 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Hi everyone, I could really do with some advise.  Today is my final day of treatment and I feel like I'm about to have a panic attack,, which I know is really stupid I should be happy, but I think I'm anticipating the pain to come. I'm already in quite a lot of pain and the thought of it getting worse is filling me with dread. I was having the 28 days of radiotherapy and 2 sessions of mitomycin & 5fu. Unfortunately my heart didn't like the 5fu and they decided not to do the 2nd round. I feel like my body is not going to be able to cope with recovery and it's making me anxious. How did you all cope with health anxiety and keep going. Thanks Louise 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi 

Well done for getting through the treatment, give yourself a pat on the back.

Okay so the treatment is over, thats a tick in the box and now the healing starts. Its hard to know how the next few weeks will be for you as we all heal differently. You’ve probably been told that your symptoms will peak around 10 days as the treatment is accumulative. I remember waiting and waiting for this peak to happen however, looking back my symptoms peaked straight after treatment finished and for about 2 weeks thereafter.

For me, the fatigue was the hardest thing, it far out-weighed any pain I was in. I pretty much spent 2 weeks in bed. I slept a hell of a lot and only really had the energy to move from my bed to the loo, to the bath and back to bed again. My bowel was very out of control and I had no warning if I needed the loo. Once those 2 weeks were over I started to re-gain my strength and gradually normality started to return. Before I knew it I was up and about around the house enjoying doing normal stuff like filling the dishwasher and doing the laundry.

I finished treatment for stage 3b AC mid June. At the beginning of August I went to Alton Towers with my kids and actually went on a few roller coasters, end of August I enjoyed a weeks holiday in Dorset and in October half term, I flew with my family to Porto. Don’t get me wrong I wasn’t 100% and was still suffering from fatigue and healing skin, but I was able to do these things.

You will cope with the recovery, it may get worse before it gets better, but it won’t be for long. Before you know it you’ll be doing normal things and getting your life back. Treatment is short but the recovery can be frustratingly long. Symptoms can linger for months/years afterwards. I’m 15 months post treatment and still have side effects, but nothing that gets in the way of living. 

Try not to think too far into the future. Right now you need to concentrate on healing and re-building your strength. Sleep as much as you can and put good things into you body. Let people do things for you. Don’t push yourself too hard, you’ve been through really tough treatment that is still working in your body.

You will have good and bad days, some days you’ll feel strong mentally, other days your mind will take you to dark places. It happens to us all and is all part of the process. Take one day at a time and remember how you are feeling will be just temporary, it WILL get better. You will be surprised how quickly you will heal and re-gain your strength.

This time is for healing and self care and thats all you need to think about right now.

All the best

Sarah x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you Sarah, that's some very sensible advise. I'm doing much better this evening I was having a real wobble this morning. I was not in the best of shape before all this started and the heart problem with the chemo really scared me. Macmillan have provided me with some local counselling contacts so that's my next step. Thanks again for your reply. Take care Louise 

• FormerMember

Just keep looking to the future, and you will get there in the end!  After I finished my treatment was diagnosed with BP so high it was off the scale - had gone for a routine cataract operation, declined because of my high BP and referred back to gp!  Routine ECG found abnormal heart rhythm which I wasn't aware of before!  Pills have brought my BP to nearly normal..  Was then told that it had probably been high before treatment but that chemo can cause it to fall!

My message is try to enjoy life post treatment and not look for problems (mine were there before and I didn't even know and when having treatment no-one questioned them!). You have achieved where you are now.  Enjoy it.  Life is for living not regretting or looking back!  Please look forward as I do every day 5 1/2 years later and enjoy the moment and be thankful for your diagnosis and treatment and that for now you are still here living the moment!  Mxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I’m nearly 2 weeks post treatment (28 days) and it’s not been as bad as I expected. I had to rush to the loo a few times, and actually going to the loo is pretty sore but over very quickly. I slept a lot and took my painkillers regularly as well as a daily laxative.

The idea of a pain peak is terrifying, I expected to be writhing in pain. The reality is less dramatic. I’ve been sore but no writhing. I reckon my peak was last Thursday because I was just so fed up with it all and then the next day realised the tops of my legs weren’t sore any more. Yesterday I went for a short walk and now I can wear normal knickers without chafing. I’m still needing to wash after going to the loo with a jug of warm water then patting dry, it’s very soothing, but it’s certainly not awful.

I hope you can relax into it and just take it easy until you’re feeling better.

best wishes,

Trish

• FormerMember

Hi

So good to hear how you’re doing.

I agree that the reality is always very different to how we imagine. Side effects post treatment do vary and to some extent are dictated by a person’s original staging.

I was stage 3 but didn’t really know I’d peaked until I’d gone through it, if that makes sense. 15 months on its a very distant memory I can’t remember how any of it felt.

Our bodies and minds are amazing.

Good luck with the remainder of your healing.

Sx

• FormerMember

Thank you for your replies. I am feeling a lot calmer now and I'm just trying to find a routine that works for me, which I think I have. I've also decided to cut my self some slack and remind my self that this is a stressful time and I may have the occasional wobble but that that is ok and it will pass. 

• Hi ,

You've already received some great advice here so I’ll not repeat it but you’ve hit the nail on the head in your last post this is an incredibly stressful time & some days you’ll feel like you have a handle on things & others you’ll feel like everything is way out of your control & that’s perfectly normal & perfectly ok to feel that way. It’s not nice but it’s the nature of the beast so to speak, if we’re honest we’ve all been there, I certainly have many times. So yes cutting yourself a bit of slack is a good move. 

I remember only too well the overwhelming feelings of dread before treatment began, I felt that things would never be the same again, but I’m here, 15 months on with NED living my life pretty much the same as I did before any of this began in February 2018, I’ve a slightly different mindset now, I evaluate things differently, I’ve moderated my diet & lifestyle slightly but above all I’m well! 

You will cope with these next couple of weeks the same way you’ve coped with the rest of your treatment then your healing will begin & I for one was really surprised on how fast the healing happened & before long the pain & discomfort of treatment will be just s distant memory. Over the next few weeks just take things at your own pace, don’t overdo things & rest when you feel you need to, it sounds very simple advice & common sense really but it really is the best way. 

I'm so pleased you seem to be in a better headspace it’s not an easy thing we’re dealing with so be kind to yourself. 

Nicola