5 weeks post treatment

• 5 replies
  • 38 subscribers

So I'm 5 weeks post treatment now and skin healed well. Still painful going to the loo and occasional urgency. The thing I want to ask about though is the itching. 

Everytime I go to the loo, my whole bottom area itches and prickles like crazy. I'm still using gels etc

I'm interested to know if the pooing pain then prickling is normal at this stage still?  And is there anything more I could be doing to help? 

Deb x 

• Hi ,

Good to hear you’re doing well & your healing is going well too. 

In my case the discomfort when going to the loo did last a while unfortunately & unless I take softeners each day that can still happen now. I think now it’s more down to stenosis rather than skin issues. As far as the itching is concerned have you mentioned this to your Dr? It’s possibly just your new skin, it’s a lot thinner, more fragile & therefore more sensitive than what was there previously & obviously in the position it is when you go to the loo everything stretches a little & this may be causing the prickling sensations you’re getting. I’ve just had my 15 month post treatment check-up & my skin has been a little inflamed & stingy over the last couple of weeks & my oncologist has suggested I use sudocrem but I would check with your oncologist before using anything other than what they’ve already prescribed. 

You could possibly follow these links & put your question forward?  Ask a Nurse or (Missing Forum).

I hope you find some relief soon. 

Nicola 

• Hi Deb

Glad to hear you’ve finished treatment and healing well. My Macmillan nurse told me we have lots of nerve endings inside there that are trying to repair themselves after being blasted. Each time you go to the loo it will be aggravating them. You might want to try taking some Antihistamine like Piriton. I took that especially at night when it drove me crazy. It will get easier as time goes by.

Take Care

C xx

• Hi, I am around the same time as you post-treatment having completed chemo and radiotherapy in August this year. The itching has been an on-going symptom for me since before diagnosis. It got really bad during radiotherapy and is still there now although not quite as bad. It literally drives me up the wall. I asked the radiologists about this and they said the same as Crystal T has said above. The radiation has damaged the nerve endings in the back passage and I think we just have to be patient (not easy) and it should resolve. Our bodies aren't healed yet. The trouble is I am quite an impatient person and just want everything to go back to 'normal' asap and that's not realistic after the treatment our bodies have endured. Toilet time is still bad for me too, either constipated or having diarrhoea, can't seem to get the balance right as yet with fibre in my diet x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

The itching really is a pain in the arse (excuse the pun!) Nikki and Crystal have already given good explanations and advise. I used Piriton for a good 2/3 months after treatment, particularly at night.

Our skin is so delicate in that area, its PH levels are completely different to anywhere else on our bodies. Although the skin can look intact, it can take months and months before its property healed. Even then, its never really quite the same and becomes super sensitive. Then theres the stenosis, everything has narrowed, you may have noticed your poo’s are a different shape! That doesn’t help either. 

I still have itching sometimes, I refer to it as the ‘pinecone’. Is usually happens after I’ve had a poo and I get this quite spikey, itchy feeling which only goes away with a good old fiddle with my finger. So attractive!

Sorry to be crude but thats the way it is, oh the joys!

Sx

• Thank you everyone!

And Sarah thanks for making me giggle! Things we have to do ey!!

Least I know it's all as to be expected however uncomfortable!! 

Deb x