Tired!

• 9 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hi everyone!

Just thought i’d ask  you guys a question!

Do any of you get tired mid afternoon?

This doesn’t happen all the time but each time it does my mind goes into overdrive that’s it’s back! I recall the Macmillan nurse saying to me when I was diagnosed, did you not get tired! I know i’m Being ridiculous but just wondered whether this happens to anyone else.

Crystal x x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

For sure I get tired mid afternoon and if I sit down to watch TV sometimes, I can feel myself drifting off then I startle myself 5 mins before picking up the kids from school. However, if I don’t sit down and carry on being on my feet doing stuff then I don’t feel tired.

I think its more to do with our blood sugar levels dropping, which naturally occurs mid afternoon, than anything more sinister!

Don’t know about you but when I was oblivious that I had cancer, I don’t remember feeling any more tired than I usually did.

Sx

• Thanks Sarah

Glad to hear it’s not just me!

I have never been a worrier and now i’m Paranoid about everything! I need a word with myself to stop being so  silly.

Take care

C x x

• Hi ,

I'm exactly the same, as Sarah has said as soon as I stop for any length of time & whatever time of day it is it doesn’t take me long before I could nod off lol … having said that this worry is real!! I’ve always been healthy, apart from a touch of osteoarthritis in the last couple of years, until this bloody thing appeared anyway but now I’m hyper aware of every ache or pain, I’m approaching 55 so there’s going to be aches & pains but you think the worst each time! So what I was wanting to say is you’re not being silly it’s just another byproduct of a stinking cancer diagnosis. 

Nicola 

• Thanks Nicola, 

That is so true! A byproduct of cancer!!  I never went to the doctors, I was rarely ill and now every pain or ache terrifies me. I also think the menopause plays apart and we would have these aches, tiredness  etc anyway.

Take care

C x x

• Hi ,

I totally agree about the menopause too, I had menopausal symptoms long before my diagnosis , GP was reluctant to say I was in full menopause & said I was peri-menopausal but treatment brought an abrupt end to most of my symptoms, I still get the odd ‘tropical moment’ but because of the pelvic radiotherapy even those of us that weren’t in menopause before are highly likely to be afterwards, so yes the aches, pains, tiredness etc., that come along with the sudden lack of oestrogen are bound to play a part. Also I think as soon as we physically heal from treatment it soon becomes a bit of a distant memory & we easily forget the trauma our bodies have been through, to begin with we’ve had a serious illness then having all of these toxins (chemo & radiotherapy) coursing through our bodies & don’t forget the radiotherapy continues working for quite some time after your last treatment so really when you add up all these factors is there any wonder we feel tired? I think there’s a large portion of us that have been through this treatment have been left with new aches, pains & stiffness in the hips, thighs, lower back areas but I always mention it at my appointments & my surgeon said he’d check my hips & lower spine on my annual scans but assured me that it’s generally a side effect of pelvic radiotherapy. 

Nicola

• Hi Nicola

Thanks for all that info, I was catapulted into menopause following my treatment. My last period was during to my embarrassment and i’ve never had one since. I do recall Sarah mentioning in one of her posts that you have to have no periods for a year before they can test you. Well that’s me definitely in the Change!!! 

Glad  you mentioned the pelvis, hips etc, my consultant mentioned to me that on the scan it showed degenerative changes in my bones! I just make sure I eat healthily and do small weight baring exercises. That was probably going to happen anyway it’s just been speeded up with all the treatment. I’m nearly 50 so aches and pains were going to happen anyway.

Its funny how more body aware I am now, before I just got on with everything and plodded on. 

Speak soon

C x x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Crystal T

Hi 

I haven’t had periods for years as I have a coil, God knows whats happened to it as it wasn’t removed prior to treatment!

I had a blood test done via my GP about 2 months ago and that confirmed my hormone levels were in keeping with the start of the menopause. I’d noticed I’d been putting on weight (even though I was exercising loads) and was bloated so thought something was a miss. I’ve not really noticed any other obvious symptoms as yet.

I had aching in my legs/hips for a long time, a good year but I’m pleased to say this has gone. I exercise every day, running and yoga and really believe this has helped. 

I still feel it if I sit for long periods and getting out of a chair, things are still a bit stiff. I don’t think that will ever go. 

As you know I’m waiting for scan results, you won’t believe the sensations that I’m suddenly aware of that are subsequently sending my mind spiralling. The latest is a little sore inside my nose that I’m convinced isn’t healing so I therefore must have nose cancer!!!!

Sx

• Hi Sarah,

You have just made me laugh! i love the fact we are all the same! Glad you mentioned the weight gain and bloating. I have both although some foods affect it more. I’ve never had washboard abs but do bloat easily and always have.

I think the stiffness effects us all when we’ve sat along time.

keep us posted on your scan results, the anxiety the waiting causes is unbelievable. The nose sore is very funny, you’ll worry about everything until you get your results, we all do. 

Take care

C x x

• Hi, I've had hip pain following the treatment and so the above is useful to know. I was told I have  a high chance of the menopause after treatment, yet another issue to deal with on top of everything else. Nothing has happened as yet apart from a few feelings of hot/cold but I've previously had those too about 2 years ago and then they disappeared so could be unconnected.  I can totally relate to the nose problem Sarah has mentioned above. I had back pain last week and started thinking the big c had decided to travel to my spine. It's gone for the most part now which is a relief.   I think the health anxiety problems will be the lasting legacy of the big c for us, perhaps indefinitely. I don't know yet how to cope with that. This is something I will cover with my GP at an appointment I have next week and any suggestions she has I will of course share.  Hope all goes well  with the scans Sarah x