Still on 30/500 cocodemol after 6 weeks

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 37 subscribers

I'm 6 weeks out from my treatments now and while I healed really well in week 2 I seemed to have plateaued and have a few sore areas that still cause me a lot of discomfort if I try to taper off the cocodemols. 

They are the areas most affected by the tumour pre treatment so i suppose it makes sense they would receive the most attention from the radio therapy and so would be the sorest and take the longest to heal.

Can anyone else relate?

Cheers 

Ian

• Hi ,

Sorry to hear you’re still experiencing this discomfort. I think, definitely in my case, we forget very quickly the intensity of the treatment we’ve received & expect a little too much from ourselves. I too healed externally really quickly, within a couple of weeks in fact, but internally seemed to take a bit longer. My skin reaction wasn’t as severe as a lot of people’s from reading the descriptions on here but I found going to the loo quite uncomfortable for quite some time & had to take softeners throughout to make things a little easier & still take 1 a day now! I couldn’t take any of the opiate based painkillers as they just made going to the loo even more difficult, so I relied on paracetamol throughout treatment & afterwards. 

I’m presuming these areas are internal? so using creams isn’t an option. Hopefully someone that has experienced something similar will be along shortly with some more useful advice.

Nicola

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Nikki65

Hi Nic

Bit if both tbh, internal and external.

I find the hemerroid creams I used to use pre treatment make the area sting like hell now. I use a cream for nappy rash of all things which seems to calm things a little.  

If I try to taper the cocodamols the internal area where the tumor was is too painful to sit on.

I assume as I had warts and growths on the skin itself, this would explain why these areas were directly treated and are so sore for so long? 

I'm frustrated obviously but dont really have any other options atm.

Ian x

• Hi ,

Yes it can be frustrating, when your feeling well otherwise & you just want to get on. As you’ve already identified though if it’s where your tumour was located & the surrounding area that you’re suffering with then this is where the radiotherapy will have been aimed at & would have received the full belt of the treatment! I know I was prescribed Flamazine cream post treatment & that stung like crazy on my broken skin but I was advised to mix it with a little aqueous cream & that did the trick until I could stand applying it neat! 

When is your next appointment with your oncologist? If you’ve a bit of a wait maybe put in a call to them to see if they can suggest anything other than what you’re already doing? Obviously Macmillan have the (Missing Forum) facility or the Ask a Nurse. Hope you get some relief very soon. 

Nicola.