Look good feel better

• 3 replies
  • 37 subscribers

I went to a Look Good Feel Better session today at the Macmillan centre at the hospital. If they do one at any of the hospitals you guys are having treatment, I thoroughly recommend.

They do them for men and women. Ours today was a ladies make up one. It was amazing. To spend a couple of hours with other people going through all sorts was humbling and inspirational. We had tea and biscuits, tears and laughter. A fabulous make over and a lot of freebies!!

Really worth doing if you get the chance! 

Deb x 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Do they run a make-up session for men?

Asking for a friend ... lol

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

Complimentary therapy like this is amazing isn’t it. Fantastic rest-bite and a great way of meeting others who have some understanding of what you’re going through. 

Some hospitals don’t advertise/communicate these things well and you have to seek them out. Most of us are on 2 year pathways and will be entitled to a variety of complimentary therapy. 

I didn’t find out what my hospital offered until I was in the middle of treatment, I then had to go on a waiting list. However, I eventually enjoyed and benefited from Reiki, massage, talk therapy and more recently a life after cancer course and yoga. 

For those of you waiting to start treatment make sure you ask your medical professionals about what complimentary therapy is on offer so you can get you name down on a waiting list. Even if you feel a little pessimistic about these things try them anyway, if anything it will provide a distraction from the crap. 

If your hospital doesn’t offer anything then there are wonderful charities like Macmillan, Maggies etc who can provide help and support. 

Deb I’m really happy that you seem to have got a lot out of this session. 

Sx

• Hi Deb,

There’s a Maggies Centre attached to the Northern Centre for Cancer Care where I had my treatment & they do the Look Good Feel Better sessions there too although I’ve not tried it yet, I’ve called in for coffee & was speaking to the manager who was telling me you get a bag of freebies after the session including all good makes of products etc. 

I agree it’s good to do nice stuff for yourself especially right  now, plus the people you’re around will be going through similar things to you & you look around & it puts things into perspective if only for a little while. 

Well done for looking after you. 

Nicola x