starting treatment

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 6 replies
  • 36 subscribers

I will soon be starting treatment with chemo and radiation for scc of the anus.  I am very worried and scared.  It seems it is also in two lymph nodes  - I had hoped it wouldn't be.  I'm scared of the treatment, the side effects etc.

Does the fact that it's in two lymph nodes mean t's probably spread?  Has anyone else here been at this stage?  I'd love to hear about your experience.

Thanks

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi there  

Your oncologist should have given a staging to explain whete you are in effect. 

Mine looked like this..T2 N1a M0

The first is the stage of the tumor, the N refers to the ymph noad and the M the degree of the spread.

Typically this type doesnt tend to spread beyond the lymph nodes but does always seems to effect them.

So to give you the short answer no, just because it's im the lymph nodes, doesn't mean it has spread.

Hope this helps

Ian

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thanks for your reply,  I might just sleep better tonight because of it. I never thought to ask the grading - I'll do that the next day

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi 

I sympathise and understand. I felt just like you last March when I was diagnosed. You’re not only processing the bombshell of diagnosis but you’re in limbo, waiting for treatment to start and your brain takes you to dark places. Its all part of the process I’m afraid but believe it or not, things will improve when you start treatment to rid your body of this cancer.

Please keep in the forefront of you mind that this cancer is curable and the treatment is very effective. You will read lots of positive stories on this forum. Treatment is challenging but its over quickly, AC patients don’t have to endure months of chemo like other poor cancer patients.

When my cancer was found it was already advanced T4 N3 M0. This was very hard for me to except as I’d be feeling well with no real symptoms. Anyway, fast forward, I finished treatment in June and was told in Sept that my tumor had completely gone. I am now 12 months post-treatment and currently disease free. 

Ian is right in that this cancer tends to be localised and spread to pelvic nodes is not viewed as serious, as node spread in other types of cancer. However, spread to pelvic nodes is still not ideal and its not impossible for it to spread further, hence why there is a M staging. As my original node staging was N3 this is something that I have live with the worry of. Hopefully however, my staging and positive outcome will reassure you that even with advanced cancer, treatment is still effective.

So how can we support you?

You can come on this forum anytime and ask anything. There will always be someone who will get back to you. You may also wish to connect with another patient who will be starting treatment around the same time. I connected with another lady on here and we texted each other every day throughout treatment and beyond. It was so helpful and supportive being able to talk to someone who was having a similar experience at a similar time.

In addition, I had a one to one peer, someone who was an 8 year survivor. There is a charity called 'The HPV and Anal Cancer Foundation' They are based in the U.S. and have an office in the UK. If you contact them they will connect you with a survivor who will be able to support you on a daily basis if you require. Here’s the link to their website, have a read:

https://www.analcancerfoundation.org/find-support/patient-support/connect-with-a-peer/

There is also the Macmillan Helpline, tel no. below that you can call for advise, support or just to talk to someone. We also have the ‘Ask an Expert’ feature (top of the page) whereby you can email an anal cancer surgeon directly with any questions or concerns.

I will leave it there for now but please be assured that you are not alone, we are here to help you.

You have come to best place, this forum is full of people who really understand what its like and will be able to give you well informed advise and support.

Speak soon.

Sarah x

• FormerMember

thanks very much for your reply, this website is great. 

I have found out that my anal cancer doesn't even show up on the mri or ct yet it is there.  The lymph node involvement did show up, I find this very strange.  

I find the waiting for the treatment to start very hard - I wish I could just get on with it 

• FormerMember

We all feel like that at the beginning.

Its all in hand now though. 

It seems you have a small tumor and that means you have plenty of time before this became a problem. Your well ahead of the game. 

I know its hard not to worry but you already have this sorted now. 

It's all under control. Slight smile

Ian

• FormerMember

I have since found out that my diagnosis is T1NXMO     I;m told this is pretty good and I also have my start date for treatment to start. I will be having chemoradiation.The sooner the better as far as I'm concerned.

I find reading other posts here a great help as I don't really have anyone I can talk to about it. 

I'm not sure if I should be buying in anything to make my life easier or if anyone could give any tips as to things they did that they found helpful.

Thanks a million