Going to the gym?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 37 subscribers

I usually go to the gym two or three times a week, and do a mix of cardio and weights. It’s really helped my mental state since diagnosis.

Do you think I’m likely to be able to do this much/at all during treatment and post treatment recovery? I already find riding a bicycle is too uncomfortable.

How much physical activity/out of the house stuff could you and did you do during and after treatment?

Trish

• Hi Trish, 

I found pottering around the house & garden during treatment was quite enough to be honest as both the chemoradiotherapy & radiotherapy are renowned for causing fatigue & a couple of weeks in I found it difficult getting through the day without having a ‘nana nap’!  I found my symptoms reached their peak 11 days post treatment but things began healing pretty quickly after that, I returned to work 5-6 weeks after treatment was finished although I only work part-time. I think each of us, although the general symptoms are similar, deal with & react to the chemo-radiotherapy slightly differently so it really is best just to play it by ear & do what you can while you feel you’re able but don’t be afraid to say ‘I can’t be bothered’ either just listen to your body & rest when you need to.

Nicola x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi 

Do whatever you can manage Trish, we’re all different. Until you know how the treatment will affect you, you can’t really plan for much so just take it day by day.

I didn’t do any gym exercise prior to, or throughout treatment due to discomfort and pain in my nether regions. Sitting and standing for long periods was very uncomfortable. I just pottered around the house or garden and had occasional days out with the kids, but I’d usually be sitting or lying down.

I finished treatment end of June 2018 and returned to the gym October time. When I then gradually re-started yoga classes and light jogging. From Jan onwards I upped my game, started aerobics and couch for 5K and yesterday I ran my first ‘Race for Life’!

Whilst my body has changed and I have some stiffness and aching, I think I’m fitter now than I’ve ever been.

Sx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you, that’s really reassuring and also made me realise I should just give myself a break.

Xx

T