Menopause

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Hi,

So its official, 12 months after treatment finished and I’ve started the menopause. I was always told there would be a 50% chance the treatment would turn off my ovaries and I’m almost 49, so no major suprise but still a little weird to have it officially confirmed.

I feel like I have a whole new topic to research and learn about, maybe a temporary distraction from cancer!

Other than weight gain around my waist and tummy, I don’t have any obvious symptoms but I feel like I should be actively doing something, taking a new supplement etc.

Off to see the GP in a couple of weeks but does anyone have any advise on how I can naturally support my body through the process or do I just wait and see what happens?

Thanks

• Hi Sarah

Hope all good! 

I have thought for a while that the treatment had put me into early menopause, i’ve not had it confirmed officially. I’m 48 and haven’t had a period since I finished treatment in Aug, I get hot every now and then and like you i’ve noticed my tummy area is shall we say “more rounded”! I haven’t noticed much more than that.

No one has ever mentioned the  menapause to me at any of my appointments, maybe they will discuss it at  my next one which is in Aug! They come round very quickly!

I’ve done a bit of reading on the subject, we need to continue exercising making sure to incorporate light weight into our regime, healthy diet and a lot recommend  vitamin D for bone health.  I haven’t started taking that, I just potter in the garden when the suns out, I’ll look into that more. Like you I prefer to do things naturally. 

If you find anything different, would love to hear

Speak soon

Crystal x x 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Crystal T

Thanks

I’ve had a coil for a long time so don’t have any periods. I couldn’t get the coil removed prior to treatment and God knows whats happened to it now!

Anyway, I wanted to know for sure so had a blood test done via by GP and the feedback was ‘hormone levels indicate the start of the menopause” so I’ll see the GP in the next couple of weeks to get more info. 

Not had any obvious symptoms but noticed I’ve been putting on weight around my middle which I thought was strange as I’m doing lots of exercise.

My oncologist mentioned this to me before my treatment started. He said it would be 50/50 if the radiotherapy turned off my ovaries. It’s not been mentioned since. 

Just hoping I can sail through it fairly easily after everything else I’ve been through.

Sx