Here we go again

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 7 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Hi everyone sorry have a bit quite was away on holiday got back to a lot of babysitting. Where do I start it's looking  like my cancer has returned for a 3rd time was up with my ongolist a few weeks ago.  I had been having the same symptoms as before so was sure I  my heart something was there. After he examined me he said he would like the surgeon to have a look. Went on Monday after the examination he told me I had 3 areas of concern one out side and 2 inside. I'm having biopsies done this week but he is expecting the results to be positive and has told me it would be surgery a ARR . Its now been nearly two years since I first had symptoms and went to my GP. I  just feel I have been  on a rollercoaster the past 2 years. I know the surgery is for the best just wish they had done it when the cancer returned the 2nd time. I had a MRI on the 15th April all was good so in a matter of weeks there are 3 areas of concern.  

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi 

I’m so sorry this is happening to you, as you say its an emotional roller coaster and very challenging to live with. I suppose your medical professionals have been trying to do all they can to avoid an APR.

Good luck with the biopsies and if it is cancer, thank goodness you have another option. Although an APR is a very daunting prospect, my understanding is that it can still offer a cure.

I’m recommending you connect with  who have all had the surgery and are living their lives. In addition,  is about to, or has recently had this surgery. I hope these people will be able to support and offer re-assurance should you need them.

All the best for this week, please come back to us.

Sarah x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Everton,

I can't begin to imagine how you are feeling right now. I'm sure that the surgeon felt that the APR surgery was not an option for you last time, but now it is on the cards for you. I wonder why your MRI didn't pick anything up in April? Perhaps you should ask your MDT about that. As for the APR surgery, it is major surgery and you should prepare as much for it as you possibly can. I had mine in September 2012, and back to work the following January. So it is surgery that you can recover from. If there are any questions that you have, just ask!

Linda :-)

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Everton, Sarah is right, I am due to have APR, I'm still waiting for my date, I was due for theatre on 3rd June, this was cancelled due to lack of theatre time.

I already have a colostomy, so in some ways I'm starting, one step ahead. I ve had some amazing advise from this site, Ewok was so up front I learnt a lot from her. Also I belong to another amazing site where a lot of the ladies are from America and Canada. So much information, but maybe first get your true diagnosis and then start to be prepared.

Personally I think that preparation is the most important part of dealing with this, possibly wrongly I've sort of put the emotional side into a box and concentrated on the practical side, this is my way of dealing with this cancer journey. 

If I can help in any way I will be happy to do so. Good luck at your appts.

Big hugs, deb xx

Ps I live nr Bournemouth if you are anywhere nr. X

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hello loobyloo 

As you can see I'm due to have an APR with vram flap, did you have this too? Xx deb

• Hi everton1957,

Just wanted to say I’m so sorry you’re facing this again for the 3rd time!!! Sometimes life really is a b*#ch isn’t it? It just seems so unfair. My diagnosis was T1N0M0 & my tumour was undetectable on both my diagnostic scans both CT & MRI although my surgeon said he could definitely feel it on examination, he has reiterated each time I see him how early it was caught. I wonder if this is true of your last scans & whatever is there, if it has recurred, is very small? Got everything crossed for you with your biopsies & sending lots of positive thoughts your way. 

Thinking of you. 

Nicola 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you for your kind words it’s nice to know I’m not alone that others have been through the same journey and come out the other end.

The hospital rang Monday morning to say I’m in tomorrow Thursday all happening very quick just as the last time. Thankfully I have been busy with my grandchildren they keep me on my toes and from thinking too much.

I will keep you updated and once again thanks for the support 

Regards

Everton 

• Hi Everton

I’m so sorry you’re having to go through this again.  As Sarah said I had my APR is December 2017 after my anal cancer came back nearly two years after my initial treatment. Recover seems quite slow initially but  I was back at work by the beginning of April.  It’s hard to imagine what the new normal is like at the start but now 18 months on I’m preparing for a 25km sponsored walk in the Brecon Beacons and my husband and I went to India last year, which I thought might never happen. I’m just glad to have had the option.

Thinking of you tomorrow and feel free to ask anything.

Caroline